• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bridge Cameras out performing DSLRs? (1 Viewer)

I bought a Lumix FZ200, got on a plane, landed in Ecuador for Christmas. Mostly photographed hummingbirds. I love the results.

I have a novice question for this thread. As I think someone mentioned, with an image from a large DSLR sensor, compared to a tiny bridge camera sensor, one can presumably crop much more readily to bring out details (a distant bird, for example). To what extent does the ability to crop more with the DSLR image compensate for the much longer zoom reach of the bridge camera--say, if one is using a 300mm or 400mm lens on an APS-C DSLR? Something I've been wondering about...
You are right, a DSLR image can be cropped a lot heavier. I have owned two superzooms Cameras (SX40 and SX50) and conclude that crops from a DSLR give far better results for distance shots.
Attached shows the full frame from a DSLR (1.6 crop) and 420mm focal length so 672mm FOV. The 100% crop equates to something like 4000mm FOV (Field of view) by my reckoning.

Attachments

• rp2_full.jpg
    rp2_full.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 108
  • rp2 - 100 crop v2.jpg
    rp2 - 100 crop v2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
You are right, a DSLR image can be cropped a lot heavier. I have owned two superzooms Cameras (SX40 and SX50) and conclude that crops from a DSLR give far better results for distance shots.
Attached shows the full frame from a DSLR (1.6 crop) and 420mm focal length so 672mm FOV. The 100% crop equates to something like 4000mm FOV (Field of view) by my reckoning.

Thanks. Nice photo. It makes a good argument for cropping a DSLR image. I'd rather shoot with a small DSLR--better autofocus, and I prefer the optical viewfinder.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back