• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finch sock failure? (1 Viewer)

Seems to stem from three things IMHO, the fact that many Americans are not aware of the pronunciation of Niger (nee-jair) , that there is a country of the same name and the fact that it looks to some, uncomfortably like another more unpleasant word?

As a general rule, people from different countries of origin tend to pronounce words differently. That is normal. The rest of your blanket presumptions stem from the reading of a single article containing the viewpoints of two people.

In any case, NONE of this has anything to do with the original topic of this thread. If you wish to discuss PC issues or parse the flaws of "Americans", please start your own thread in an appropriate forum. Thank You.

Here are some excerpts from the Bird Forum Guidelines that you agreed to honor when you joined:

Respect other members
We have members from all around the world; please be sensitive to and respectful of the opinions, religions, traditions and cultures of others. Avoid racial, religious and political comments.

Respect the general rules
Please stay on topic as far as possible. If you want to discuss a different subject, start a new thread - don't hijack someone else’s thread. Hint: If your comments don't match the title of the thread, you are probably off topic.

The "nyger" spelling has nothing to do with American ignorance of geography or of the "correct" pronunciation of Frenchified country names and everything to do with the similarity of "niger" to a well-known taboo word, a point that's already been made. Personally, I find the substitution self-defeating, an empty exercise in political correctness the only effect of which is to draw unnecessary attention to an objectionable word. So, I'm sticking to "niger" both for the reason given and because I'll be damned if I allow a bird seed company to dictate my spelling of a well-established English word.

The "nyger" spelling has nothing to do with American ignorance of geography or of the "correct" pronunciation of Frenchified country names and everything to do with the similarity of "niger" to a well-known taboo word, a point that's already been made. Personally, I find the substitution self-defeating, an empty exercise in political correctness the only effect of which is to draw unnecessary attention to an objectionable word. So, I'm sticking to "niger" both for the reason given and because I'll be damned if I allow a bird seed company to dictate my spelling of a well-established English word.

My view also.

As a general rule, people from different countries of origin tend to pronounce words differently. That is normal. The rest of your blanket presumptions stem from the reading of a single article containing the viewpoints of two people.

In any case, NONE of this has anything to do with the original topic of this thread. If you wish to discuss PC issues or parse the flaws of "Americans", please start your own thread in an appropriate forum. Thank You.

Here are some excerpts from the Bird Forum Guidelines that you agreed to honor when you joined:

Respect other members
We have members from all around the world; please be sensitive to and respectful of the opinions, religions, traditions and cultures of others. Avoid racial, religious and political comments.

Respect the general rules
Please stay on topic as far as possible. If you want to discuss a different subject, start a new thread - don't hijack someone else’s thread. Hint: If your comments don't match the title of the thread, you are probably off topic.

Are you a mod?

A am not discussing PC 'issues' but simply trying to understand the reason behind the corruption of this particular word. Admittedly it's gone at a bit of a tangent but it still applies to a topic raised within the thread.

I aplogise to the original poster and anyone else who thinks I've hijacked the thread, that wasn't my intention but unless you are a mod, this has nothing to do with you.

In response to your patronising posting of guidelines, I have not disrespected anyone, the fact that you see it as a dig at Americans reflects more on you I think. I'm not going to respond again to you here, I agree totally with fugl who posts above, common sense indeed.

I have my own feeder issues to deal with.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back