• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Silly bird mistakes in news stories (etc) (1 Viewer)

stevethehydra

I was sure there was already a thread here for this sort of thing but couldn't find it... anyway, the story's from last year but I stumbled across it today and couldn't help laughing, both at the idea of a "petrel" station and at the photo the BBC used, which is clearly *not* a petrel but a juvenile large Larus gull (GBB?)...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-37279069

Any other similar silly mistakes in news stories, or elsewhere in "non-birder" media?

Not what you mean, I know, but I'd nominate most (if not all) of the pronouncements by Botham's astroturf organisation "You forgot About the Birds", "Songbird Survival", the CA, the "Gift of Grouse" et al.

It is niggling me. What is the species of gull?

(I am always disappointed when I drive through Swinhoe in Northumberland that there is not a petrol station. I've always wanted to take a picture of a green can next to the roadsign labelled 'Swinhoe's Petrol'.)

All the best

It is niggling me. What is the species of gull?

Every likelihood the pic is from one of the big USA photo libraries - wouldn't be surprised if it was Western or California, or something like that.

Unfortunately, BBC have tied the two pics together, so google image search for the original of the gull doesn't work.

Found it: it's from istockphoto, and is labelled (clearly wrongly!) as a Cape Petrel.

Going to 'same series' shows a set of pics of Kelp Gulls, presumably from South Africa.

Edit: seems istock have some means of stopping links to their pics. Here's the link cut up to stop birdforum auto-linking; copy and paste into browser bar but take the spaces after "www." and ".com" out.

http://www. istockphoto.com /gb/photo/cape-petrel-in-flight-gm585297130-100353081

Last edited:
While birding at Xochimilco in Mexico City, our guides told us about how a rare bird was once found and reported on by a local TV station. Someone had found a penguin* there in the marsh! An amazing rarity.

* It was a Black-crowned Night-heron

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back