• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! What birds are those? (Australia) (1 Viewer)

ZuukFC

This photo has been taken in Albury-Wedonga (NSW/Victoria), Australia. on the 5th of july 2017. As you can see, the photo is pretty unclear. You can see two birds, the lowest of the two birds has been identified as a Yellow Rosella, but the other one doesn't look like a Yellow Rosella at all. Could it be a juvenile, or a different bird?

https://i.gyazo.com/3b1ee116858b38c652bf956a115c0569.png

The link includes a photo of the birds, I made a screenshot using gyazo.

Thanks for helping me out.

Julian

Hi Julian, welcome to Birdforum. You're thread is maybe better placed in the identification part of the forum, where you may get more responses.

For me, your other bird certainly looks like a rosella from the Yellow/Crimson/Adelaide superspecies group. I don't know what juvenile Yellow Rosellas look like, but juvenile Crimson Rosellas are mostly green, so maybe juv Yellow Rosellas are too?? Guess you might need a local here for a definitive answer.

Hello Julian. Both of your birds are indeed yellow rosellas, the bottom one an adult (as Larry Sweetland suggested) and the top one an immature. I see your young bird has the yellow or pale orange plumage making its way through in parts.

All young crimson rosellas (a complex of birds found through the Murray-Darling Basin River System in Australia) have varying amounts of green immature plumage and all adults have varying degrees of colour from rich crimson-red of birds in the south-east ranges, yellow along much of the riverland and orange around the city of Adelaide, South Australia. And there are combinations of these throughout in the transition zone.

I hope I have helped explain this and not complicated matters.

Regards,
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back