• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Systematic Notes on Asian Birds 2010 (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
A flyer with Bull BOC 130(3) announces the Autumn 2010 publication of SNAB 2010 as a BOC publication (UK £18) edited by David Wells, and includes SNAB Nos 68-76.

This resumes the excellent 2000-2006 series (Nos 1-67), downloadable at Naturalis:
http://www.repository.naturalis.nl/...ic+notes+on+asian+birds&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0

SNAB 72 (A preliminary review of the leaf warbler genera Phylloscopus and Seicercus, 75pp) by Jochen Martens should be particularly useful.

Presumably ordering details will soon be provided on the BOC website:
http://www.boc-online.org

Richard

Richard beat me to it!

After a four-year gap the BOC is very pleased to be able to pick up with the publication of SNAB from Leiden University.

The papers in this first BOC volume are as follows -

CIBOIS, A., GELANG, M. & PASQUET, E. Systematic notes on Asian birds: 68.
An overview of the babblers and associated groups

DICKINSON, E.C. & CIBOIS, A. Systematic notes on Asian birds: 69.
A preliminary review of the babbler subfamily Pellorneinae, in part

DICKINSON, E.C., LOSKOT, V.M, MORIOKA, H., SOMADIKARTA, S. & VAN DEN

ELZEN, R. Systematic notes on Asian birds: 70.
Types of the Timaliidae: subfamily Pellorneinae, part 1

DICKINSON, E.C & CLEERE, N. Systematic notes on Asian birds: 71.
The status of Macronus gularis connectens (Kloss, 1918

MARTENS, J. Systematic notes on Asian birds: 72.
A preliminary review of the leaf warbler genera Phylloscopus and Seicercus

NAZARENKO, A.A., STEINHEIMER, F.D. & SURMACH, S.G. Systematic Notes
on Asian Birds: 73.
On the validity of Sitta villosa corea Ogilvie-Grant 1906 from the
Korean Peninsula, SW Ussuriland and NE China

MLÍKOVSKÝ, J. Systematic notes on Asian birds: 74.
A preliminary review of the grebes, family Podicipedidae

MLÍKOVSKÝ, J. Systematic notes on Asian birds: 75.
Types of the Podicipedidae

MEES, G.F. Systematic notes on Asian birds: 76.
A second contribution to the ornithology of Bangka Island, Indonesia

It will be added to the BOC online store very shortly for anyone who wishes to order a copy.

Steve Dudley
British Ornithologists' Club

SNAB 2010 has just arrived and all those who have ordered their copy can expect it in coming days as all orders have just been posted out.

Very pleased to receive my copy today - great to see this useful series resumed.

The BOC introduction informs that it's expected to be a regular publication, but of course subject to the sales achieved...

Let's hope that it's well-supported by the ornithological community (especially OBC members), although I fear that it may be seen as rather expensive by many potential readers.

Richard

Last edited:
I received my copy yesterday, so have not yet read much. Very fascinating articles there seem to be. However, I was slightly disappointed in the chiffchaff chapter of Jochen Martens' Phylloscopus-Seicercus review. The relevant study about the contact zone of tristis and collybita, Marova & Leonovich (1993) is referenced, but it seems that the article was not really read. In addition, it is several times stated that Orenburg is in the northern Urals, which is untrue (it is in the very south, close to the Kazakhstan border). But I hope and trust that the rest of the review is better.

SNAB 72 - Chiffchaff

...I was slightly disappointed in the chiffchaff chapter of Jochen Martens' Phylloscopus-Seicercus review. The relevant study about the contact zone of tristis and collybita, Marova & Leonovich (1993) is referenced, but it seems that the article was not really read. In addition, it is several times stated that Orenburg is in the northern Urals, which is untrue (it is in the very south, close to the Kazakhstan border).
There can be no real excuse for such an obvious geographic error. But perhaps it's partly a result of the focus on taxonomy within SNAB's area of coverage - bounded in the north by Afghanistan, China, Mongolia and Japan. Common Chiffchaff subspecies contact zones are extralimital to the SNAB region, and although discussed for completeness, may have been given less attention than core-area taxonomic issues.

Richard

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back