• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kruger Caldera 8x42 - old and newer versions (1 Viewer)

mmx_4

In old topic Steve C and others wrote about some problems with diopter mechanics in old versions of Kruger Caldera 8x42 and 10x42.

I found lot with Caldera 8x42 on Ebay,

how I can determine, it's newer version with good diopter mechanics or old ?

You might have better luck just asking Steve directly through a PM. He was very knowledgeable about the Kruger bins.

That is the modified diopter adjustment mechanism. As to how well the thing works, I can't say as mine is the original, unmodified one.

You can tell as the original mechanism is an exposed brass button sticking up which you depress to move. The problem is that it is too easy to press and move without user input, from such things as taking it out of the case etc. You get to the point where it is second nature to automatically glance at the position of the button and it becomes easy to simply put it where it needs to be before you get it to your eyes. However it can be a pain when you are in a rush to get on target.

You can tell the modified mechanism because you can see in the picture there is a protrusion in the adjustment ring which covers the brass pin, making it harder to move without user input. Other than that, the diopter mechanics are the same. Edit: There seems to be no problem with the ability to adjust the diopter to sharp focus, it is more a question of keeping it there. From my brief handling of the new mechanism it seems to be OK functionally, my above remark is intended to indicate that I have not used it enough long term to comment any further.

For what it is worth, the listed 438*, or 8.3*, measures about half a degree wider, 458', or 8.7* angular field.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back