• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has Anyone Used the Tract Toric 10X42? (1 Viewer)

Trevor,

No worries, thank you for getting back to me. I'm excited to say I ordered the Toric 10x and am awaiting its arrival.

Trevor,

No worries, thank you for getting back to me. I'm excited to say I ordered the Toric 10x and am awaiting its arrival.

That is excellent to hear! I know you will be very happy with it and please always feel free to send me a message or post here.

Thanks you again,

Trevor
TRACT Optics

There was some discussion about the Tract Toric 10X42 beginning in the Binocular Bargains thread. Since that is a tread for bargains and not comparing merits of a particular binocular, I created this thread.

Does anyone have hands on experience with the Tract Toric in the 10X42? (There is already a specific thread on the Toric 8X42). If so, how does it compare to some other models?

I would also be interested in knowing how it handles and feels in the hand and if anyone has compared the handling to the Zen Ray Prime. A comment was made that it had great handling but that can be a preference that varies greatly between individuals. The shape of the Toric looks to me to be a lot like the Zen Ray Prime. I was wondering if the feel was similar? I had a Prime for a month and although it had some good qualities, I was not thrilled with the feel and handling, especially the straight walled tubes.

I've had my hands on a Tract Toric 10x42 for a couple of days now. They feel nothing...nothing like the ZEN Prime. They are lighter, more compact, and have much smaller diameter ocular and eye cup assemblies.The 8x 42 Toric is a week or so away, but I assume it has similar ergonomics to its 10x sibling. The barrels are not straight like they are on the Prime.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve for the comments on the Toric handling. Sounds good!

From the photos on the Tract site, it looks like the 8X and 10X have the same body and I would assume the same handling.

I'v had the Toric 10x42 for about 2 weeks now. Let me just say, I have ZERO plans to ever get another 10x42. My prior 10x42s were Zen ED and EDIII which, I really liked, but the Toric are in a completely different class, which is what I expected.

Here are a few quick thoughts and comments. Not a technical review but some practical information.

There are 3 aspects that really stand out to me other than the great optical performance (which is most important to me over anything else).

1) They feel very good in my hands, the weight, balance, and shape feel perfect to me. The textured grip is amazing.

2) The eye cups. I think my eye sockets feel better with them pushed on my face than without. Really, they are that comfortable, yet appear and feel very durable.

3) Stable view. For what ever reason (I assume some of what I mentioned above) the stability I get while birding with the Toric 10x feels like I am using an 8x. For example I birded in fairly dense close quarters a couple days ago. Many of the birds were migrating warblers. Typically in this situation I would use an 8x or ideally a 7x to be easier on the eyes, minimize shake, and wider FOV. I didn't notice anymore shake with the Torics than I do with my Sightron Blue sky II 8x32. Nor did I feel any eye strain or eye fatigue after 1.5 hours of pretty vigorous birding. Though I didn't have the Toric and Sightron side by side, the shake and eye strain with my previous 10x binoculars were immediately noticeable birding in a situation like this one.

To sum it up... I love em!

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask.

I've had my hands on a Tract Toric 10x42 for a couple of days now. They feel nothing...nothing like the ZEN Prime. They are lighter, more compact, and have much smaller diameter ocular and eye cup assemblies.The 8x 42 Toric is a week or so away, but I assume it has similar ergonomics to its 10x sibling. The barrels are not straight like they are on the Prime.

Steve,

I'm very interested in what you'll have to report on these two compared to the Maven 9x. I have the Toric 8x and Maven 9x and have been comparing them the past couple days. Hopefully I can get out for some glassing this weekend for a more thorough comparison.

WT,

Great comments. I totally agree with the eye cups. I have the 8x and went with it because of wanting a more stable view after using 12x in another brand. Much easier to handhold so I wasn't sure if 10x would be so stable. Good to hear.

Ben

Last edited:
I'v had the Toric 10x42 for about 2 weeks now. Let me just say, I have ZERO plans to ever get another 10x42. My prior 10x42s were Zen ED and EDIII which, I really liked, but the Toric are in a completely different class, which is what I expected.

Here are a few quick thoughts and comments. Not a technical review but some practical information.

There are 3 aspects that really stand out to me other than the great optical performance (which is most important to me over anything else).

1) They feel very good in my hands, the weight, balance, and shape feel perfect to me. The textured grip is amazing.

2) The eye cups. I think my eye sockets feel better with them pushed on my face than without. Really, they are that comfortable, yet appear and feel very durable.

3) Stable view. For what ever reason (I assume some of what I mentioned above) the stability I get while birding with the Toric 10x feels like I am using an 8x. For example I birded in fairly dense close quarters a couple days ago. Many of the birds were migrating warblers. Typically in this situation I would use an 8x or ideally a 7x to be easier on the eyes, minimize shake, and wider FOV. I didn't notice anymore shake with the Torics than I do with my Sightron Blue sky II 8x32. Nor did I feel any eye strain or eye fatigue after 1.5 hours of pretty vigorous birding. Though I didn't have the Toric and Sightron side by side, the shake and eye strain with my previous 10x binoculars were immediately noticeable birding in a situation like this one.

To sum it up... I love em!

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask.
It is good to hear some positive feedback on the Tract's. I agree with your comments.The Tract Toric's 10x42 are a great bargain in binoculars at $664.00.

Last edited:
Strewth, these things are expensive! I was under the impression they were some kind of miraculous cheapo bins. They'd better have alpha performance at that lofty price point, because plenty of other bins do.

I'll be keeping a lookout to try these.

Strewth, these things are expensive! I was under the impression they were some kind of miraculous cheapo bins. They'd better have alpha performance at that lofty price point, because plenty of other bins do.

I'll be keeping a lookout to try these.

They are not a cheapo bin by any means, but they are an amazing bang for the buck as they compare with alpha performance as you mentioned. I have read some peoples opinion on 24hourcampfire rating these better than binos costing over $1000. With that perspective they are priced extremely well.

Here is the link if you want to read: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11330006/Re:_Tract_Toric_8x42_Quickie

They are not a cheapo bin by any means, but they are an amazing bang for the buck as they compare with alpha performance as you mentioned. I have read some peoples opinion on 24hourcampfire rating these better than binos costing over $1000. With that perspective they are priced extremely well.

Here is the link if you want to read: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11330006/Re:_Tract_Toric_8x42_Quickie

Thanks for that.

Considering the various claims of value and performance - I notice that there are very minimal reviews for these bins on amazon, which others have linked to. Perhaps it's early days yet.
Also, availability in Australia?

Thanks for that.

Considering the various claims of value and performance - I notice that there are very minimal reviews for these bins on amazon, which others have linked to. Perhaps it's early days yet.
For what it's worth (which probably isn't much) I made some quick notes when I first picked up my Torics (mine are the 8x42 format) but never got around to polishing and posting them. If anyone is interested, I might put them up somewhere.

In any event, after some months of use, my guesstimate hasn't changed that much: they're playing at about the same level as bins such as Leica Trinovids, Zeiss Conquests and (from what I've read) maybe Nikon Monarch HGs - at a lower price-point. However, when I say that you need to know that I've only looked through Trinovids and Conquests on a few occasions and the Monarch HGs not at all. Close to, but not quite there with my Zeiss FLs (I have 8x32s and 10x56s) but substantially less expensive.
Well, I was able to get hold of mine by contacting Tract directly through their web site. If you're inclined to do the same, I'll warn you to say up front that you want to pursue a lower-cost shipping method (eg. USPS with tracking) rather than the one they'll want to use by default (which ends up swingingly expensive).

...Mike

Last edited:
For what it's worth (which probably isn't much) I made some quick notes when I first picked up my Torics (mine are the 8x42 format) but never got around to polishing and posting them. If anyone is interested, I might put them up somewhere.

In any event, after some months of use, my guesstimate hasn't changed that much: they're playing at about the same level as bins such as Leica Trinovids, Zeiss Conquests and (from what I've read) maybe Nikon Monarch HGs - at a lower price-point. However, when I say that you need to know that I've only looked through Trinovids and Conquests on a few occasions and the Monarch HGs not at all. Close to, but not quite there with my Zeiss FLs (I have 8x32s and 10x56s) but substantially less expensive.
Well, I was able to get hold of mine by contacting Tract directly through their web site. If you're inclined to do the same, I'll warn you to say up front that you want to pursue a lower-cost shipping method (eg. USPS with tracking) rather than the one they'll want to use by default (which ends up swingingly expensive).

...Mike

That is good to know for anyone out of the USA. I think you should post about your 8x42s. I would be interested in reading and am sure others would too especially because of the high performance but lower cost of the Toric.

Here is a link to the Tract Toric 8x42 thread:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=329452&page=12

...Mike

Mike - cheers for the feedback.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

Hi Rathaus,

We sure can ship to Australia. If you PM me your email address I can email you the information.

Please don't hesitate if you have any questions,

Trevor
TRACT Optics

...Mike

I'd be interested in hearing more of what you have written on this. I've found quite a few other comments extremely helpful in my pursuit of better glass and I'm sure your polished thoughts would be helpful to others as well.

Ben

Hi Rathaus,

We sure can ship to Australia. If you PM me your email address I can email you the information.

Please don't hesitate if you have any questions,

Trevor
TRACT Optics

Trevor, Cheers for that. I've sent you a PM requesting some information.

Rathaus

Hi Bruce,
Case wise, there are two in the works. One of which will be an OPP case, around $10-$15. The second will be a little more feature rich and a little bit more at retail than the first. These are still in development but I will surely post when they are ready or when I have images.

Trevor
TRACT Optics

Trevor mentioned that Tract was in the process of obtaining a couple of cases for their binoculars.

The first one is now listed under Accessories. Looks like a nice basic storage case for $10.

Description

Lightweight Ballistic Nylon case provides a great protective storage solution for your binoculars. Water Resistant finish with Velcro closer makes this a simple yet durable option for keeping your binoculars stored safely. Fits 8x42 and 10X42 TORIC and 8X42 and 10X42 TEKOA models, but will easily accommodate most binoculars with 42mm objectives.

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/accessories/binocular-storage-case

Hello Trevor,

Would you please provide a status update on the second case mentioned in February? The first less expensive case became available in March. I am wondering what the story is on the second more deluxe case.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back