• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Great Day in the Pyrenees - 2017 (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
I was going to give a quick update and then I realised it is 2017 so I have to start a new!

It has been a quiet start to the year for various reasons - mainly non-birding but the story so far.

The 'local' female Eagle Owl is in position. I saw her at about 17.30 last week sat out in front of last years nest. I have also heard the male but not seen him yet. We have sort of turned our attentions to finding a new pair - two places to prospect (I have scoped one out but it may be at the limit of hearing range) - and then finding the nest of a second pair at Gavarnie.

The airport at Tarbes is as ever - some Black Shouldered Kites (3 on Tuesday) an odd Hen Harrier and today a Dartford Warlber. This is on top of the usual winter Lapwings, Reed Buntings, Linnets, Great Egret etc.

The 'local' Lammys have not reappeared. There is a rumour they are a little up the valley - more to follow. The two classic pairs are in situ and sitting on eggs so that is good. One nest is fairly visible without much effort.

No Wallcreepers in the village this year. Bah humbug. Not made much of an effort to find them but I suspect in the gorge.

Leothrix seems to have properly arrived with some birds at Argeles. Keeping an eye on them.

I'm gearing up for some Tengmalms prospecting and ofcourse the White Backed Woody. I can't stomach the 1 hour walk (on top of 40 min drive) in to the likely nearest pair but there is another site that may be easier. I just have to confirm access - can't afford too many fines!

Last year I hit a couple of my main targets (Pallid Harrier and the above White Backed Woody) so I think the Tengmalms is top of the list and a Red Throated Pipit (probably at the coast in spring) - a male Red Footed Falcon would be nice too.

I can see the pub from here...

Well ok not the pub but this years Lammy nest! The scope does get in the way of the washing up though - so wife not that happy...

There has been 'accouplements' and branches carried to the cliff opposite the house (parc national). As yet I cannot find the exact spot though which is frustrating. If I can get a landing I can nail it! It's great news although at the same time worrying because this is very late for the couple to start breeding - the other pairs are on eggs already (as above).

Been out to see, well hear, the Eagle Owl. I did get a glimpse behind a blind of trees.

Attachments

• IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 235
End Jan

A short trip out revealed the Eagle Owl in full view during the day (I had a flyby male last night). I thought it was maybe the day to look through various cliffs to find another without success...

When I say success well check the photos. (not cropped)

Attachments

• eagle owl.JPG
    eagle owl.JPG
    484.8 KB · Views: 253
  • lammy 2.JPG
    lammy 2.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 222
  • lammy 3.JPG
    lammy 3.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 229
Hard at work - it does happen and not a lot of birding. I have been restricted to a couple of short visits around the airport on cash and carry runs and then short spurts in the mountains.

The airport was funny the other day in an annoying way! I have been clocking a Black Shouldered Kite over the same field on each visit but fairly distant and generally it quarters int he other direction - prevailing wind however, the other day I had a full front on hover at about 15 metres height and distance - fabulous. The downside was that it is the first time I didn't have my camera in weeks! I was compensated but a female and then male Hen Harrier in the same and adjoining fields...

I also thought I'd have a daytime scan for a Eagle Owl (different site from above), and Wallcreeper. I was unsuccessful on both counts but scored a great double overhead - Lammergeier and Goldie then a pair of Goldies!

Attachments

• lammy plus eagle.JPG
    lammy plus eagle.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 176
  • pair golden.JPG
    pair golden.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 206
Still struggling with this Wallcreeper type bird! However, today had a very successful raptor morning. Went to check one of the local Lammy nests - very easy and visible so didn't stay too long. I went on the hunt for the Bouquetin - couldn't find one but did find a pair of Golden Eagles and a fly past Goshawk, behind me a Firecrest. On repassing the Lammy nest the Parcs were in situ. Spent a good hour chewing the crud and watching the birds over head - a handful of Grifters and 3 LAmmies - one on the nest, one adult and one juv flying around.

Joined by 3 Golden Eagles one maybe 2nd year and 2 adults - the juv flew within range of the Lammy nest to be dive bombed and shoed away by the adult 'not sitting'. Add to this had Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Red Kite and Buzzard. Not a bad collection for this time of year.

The parcs guys got there radio receivers out to try and track down a couple of the Bouquetin -they were there somewhere but a long way off. We did find some close by Izzard though.

Cut a long story short great morning!

The run of Lammies continues. Went to the nest (Monday) to see the female (presumed) on the nest. There is a chick but it is not visible yet. However, the female felt brave enough to leave the little fella on his own for about 4 minutes as she stretched her wings. I have to say I was a little surprised because there was a Raven present and not very far from the nest entrance.

The day had started on a less positive 'twitch' - headed to look for the first Hoopoe of the year but to no avail followed by a Cirl Bunting dip - every bird under the sun was calling apart from him! Finally, our luck changed with an almost instant find of Black Woodpecker - not overly obliging but then at this time of the year, and not on official prospecting business, I was reluctant to play more than one run of the tape. Two birds did show briefly but I think that it will be nesting time in the next couple of weeks.

Picked up a Rock Bunting en-route to the Lammy but again very brief views! Over lunch another brief view of a Golden Eagle. Things were slow!

The next couple of hours was spent dipping various birds - mainly the Wallcreeper which despite searching high and low did not want to put in an appearance, then Accentor which has probably moved back to higher ground with the melt and closure of Gavarnie ski station where they have spent most of the winter (around the restaurant and the car park). The last dip was the Citril Finch - in fairness this is on the early side to get them in any accessible places.

Fortunately, some great close views of Golden Eagle raised the spirits...

PS Both Gavarnie and Gedre pairs of Lammies still have their chicks so that is great news - I'm just waiting for the young Eagle Owls to put in an appearance. I did read the 'owl' article in birdwatching which seemed to suggest that from egg laying to hatching was 1-2 days which I thought was pretty short albeit that I have no evidence to the contrary...

Continuing the theme of dipping had a flying visit to England for parental duties. Actually, Dads 80th birthday party. Too short a visit. We had a good morning searching for the local overwintering Shore Larks (last seen last weekend) but to no avail! That is my fourth visit to the site without seeing the birds! Did see some Scandie Rock Pipits and a Meadow Pipit and 2 drake Garganey on the way which where stunning!

Whilst travelling, back in France, it was good to see the Black Kites have returned in numbers and line the motorways. Had a White Stork as well so things aren't all bad...

One week of restaurant work then a months holiday so lining up some extended day trips round and abouts. Looking forward to that.

Well ok not the pub but this years Lammy nest! The scope does get in the way of the washing up though - so wife not that happy...

There has been 'accouplements' and branches carried to the cliff opposite the house (parc national). As yet I cannot find the exact spot though which is frustrating. If I can get a landing I can nail it! It's great news although at the same time worrying because this is very late for the couple to start breeding - the other pairs are on eggs already (as above).

Been out to see, well hear, the Eagle Owl. I did get a glimpse behind a blind of trees.

Update on the local pair;
They changed their nest site but are successfully raising a chick... The nest is really well hidden but from the right spot you can just about see in. That makes all three pairs on chicks. I did take a picture and will post when the bird is flying (not that it will help anyone locate nest...

Great news

Had a spin round the Lammy site. 'Mummy' happily sat in the doorway of the nest. The Parcs were walking up to get a better (closer) look today so should hear more later. Whilst stood watching heard a Short Toed Treecreeper (we on the limits of its range here - altitudinal). Sure enough here was the bird taking a feather into a hole (crack) in a tree - I'm guessing that means nest! Got a couple of shots off but didn't want to stand too close - moved the scope the other side of the car.

On the way back scooted round the Cirl Bunting site to find the male - still not singing but present. Maybe I'm just coming the wrong time of the day but as before the other birds we singing. Finally, finished with the Eagle Owl but not playing.

We close next week for a month so should be able to go later in the evening. As well as homing in on the Scops Owl which is back calling around the village.

Egyptian Vultures are back and look to be setting up in the gorge. This is great news but could prove problematic. The road is about to be closed for the next 8 weeks for extensive 'blasting' of dangerous rocks - they better choose their nest site very carefully...

Had a spin round the Lammy site. 'Mummy' happily sat in the doorway of the nest. The Parcs were walking up to get a better (closer) look today so should hear more later. Whilst stood watching heard a Short Toed Treecreeper (we on the limits of its range here - altitudinal). Sure enough here was the bird taking a feather into a hole (crack) in a tree - I'm guessing that means nest! Got a couple of shots off but didn't want to stand too close - moved the scope the other side of the car.

On the way back scooted round the Cirl Bunting site to find the male - still not singing but present. Maybe I'm just coming the wrong time of the day but as before the other birds we singing. Finally, finished with the Eagle Owl but not playing.

We close next week for a month so should be able to go later in the evening. As well as homing in on the Scops Owl which is back calling around the village.

Egyptian Vultures are back and look to be setting up in the gorge. This is great news but could prove problematic. The road is about to be closed for the next 8 weeks for extensive 'blasting' of dangerous rocks - they better choose their nest site very carefully...

Also a Serin calling in the village. Snowing now, in village, critical time for Lammies...

The closure of the road (between Luz and the outside world) looks to be relaxed a little and open from 06.30 to 21.00 - we are aiming for 23.00...

Last ski comp for girls today, restaurant closed so heading to Gruissan for a couple of days - come on Citrine Wagtail and Red Throated Pipit!! (plus a nice male Pallid Harrier and/or male Red Footed Falcon). Excited already and looking forward to getting life back for a little while.

Update on the local pair;
They changed their nest site but are successfully raising a chick... The nest is really well hidden but from the right spot you can just about see in. That makes all three pairs on chicks. I did take a picture and will post when the bird is flying (not that it will help anyone locate nest...

Great news

Had a mornings birding. I took some friends to all three Lammergeier sites. Two of the three couldn't make out the bird at the first site, their scope was rubbish and I find that my Nikon is hard to use until you are used to it! The ST Treecreeper continues his nest work.

On to the Cirl Bunting and nothing.

Site 2 and got a fly past by an adult about 2km before the nest. Anchors slammed on and out of the car. The bird drifted past and gained height just in front of us. It was followed by 3 Griffon and then a Golden Eagle - no above no its below hang on 2 Goldies!! One within touching distance... At the nest the other adult was busy feeding the chick - I guess. Its bottom was hanging out of the doorway and all we could see was under its bottom while it bobbed up and down. I wondered if its regurgitating or tearing - I had thought that the Lammy fed the young by regurgitating and I guess the action seemed to support that.

Site 3 and again a flyby but even closer. Unfortunately we had to reverse about 20m because the bird was too low and hidden by about the only trees on the mountainside! If only it was further away:t:. Again jumped out of the car and watched it in all its magnificence.

And another Golden Eagle! This one being frantically mobbed by a Raven as they passed along the cliff face. Finished with another Golden...Not bad for a mornings 'work' - 4 Lammies, 4 Golden Eagle.

Not a bad trip to Gruissan but quiet.

I missed all the Pallid Harriers! There was 1or2 most days reported on passage but right place wrong time and all that. We were too early for most things Great Reed Etc. but I did get a calling Moustached Warbler - didn't see. Also an English Yellow Wagtail and a 99% Red Throated Pipit - I'm not scoring it but I can't see that it was anything else. They have only just started moving and whilst I was there the first Red Foot was reported.

As I said maybe be a week to 10 days too early.

Anyway, back in the mountains and some are here for the last bash at skiing. Clocked some iof this years Snowfinch nest sites so theyre in the bank. Also a couple of wheatear and a ring ouzel today. Oh I forgot daily Lammergeier... (sorry Alan if you're reading) Out of interest for some will be one nest site within spitting distance of the Tourmalet car park (La Mongie side) so that's an almost guaranteed site, at least for the early part of the summer.

The snow is pretty good first thing, excellent mid morning and shot on sunnier slopes by midday. We were offpiste though at about 2100m until about 1pm and it was fantastic. Got a ski tour planned tomorrow which I'm hoping might yield Ptarmigan.

The ski tour was hell (for me). One climb, with Ice axe (first time), of 1hour then two short climbs of 20 mins. The skiing was great though after the initial heart stop as couldn't see the bottom of where we were going (pretty steep).

No Ptarmigan or anything really apart from a Black Redstart at 2,600m.

Had a couple of unsuccessful sorties for Lesser and Middle Peckers but did hear Black.

First Short Toed Eagle of the year and a couple of Hobbies. Yesterday forma friends terrace had a couple of Lammies - between territories and a Goldie - all over Luz...

To clarify the previous post the Snowfinch is nesting close to the top of the Tourmalet (La Mongie side) not the Lammy, although there are three current local nests - one above Luz, another and the classic site above Gavarnie...

At last....

add in fly by Lammy, well that was about all actually. But enough.

Great.

Attachments

• wallcreeper.JPG
    wallcreeper.JPG
    547 KB · Views: 165
  • wallcreeper 3.JPG
    wallcreeper 3.JPG
    526.7 KB · Views: 159
  • wallcreeper 4.JPG
    wallcreeper 4.JPG
    495.4 KB · Views: 155
  • wall 5.JPG
    wall 5.JPG
    424.9 KB · Views: 161
  • wall 6.JPG
    wall 6.JPG
    469.3 KB · Views: 146
Mad 'twitch' - can you call it that?

Monegros 2017 - short trip (and subject to another thread)

I don't know why but I got in my head that I had to return to the Monegros again this spring. Actually, not strictly true as I was inspired by Stephens 'how to find birds' guide on Birdforum.

Having missed the chance to go with the family for a few days I decided to do an overnighter. Its probably a little far for a day return.

I guessed about 4 1/2 hours journey, via the col d'portalet, which was on the light side particularly when I went wrong at Huesca (distracted by the hoards of Griffon Vultures) and then again on the road Sarinena - my first destination.

The journey was pretty un-eventful but I clocked an Egyptian Vulture just on the Spanish side. I tried to stop but this road is not the place to pull over! At Sabinanigo a Lammergeier - again difficult to pull off the road but at times you have to make exceptions. It does mean that the bird was a little too far away to do justice to any photo!

Sarinena was a little dissappointing but whilst completely lost en route (somewhere round Granen) I uncovered a great little resevoir near Marcen. Great Reed Warbler, Cettis, Hobby etc. The hide at Sarinena was closed and there are too many reeds now to get anywhere close to the water. Clocked a Purple Heron and Bee-eater but I decided not to spend any more time here.

Off to Bujaraloz! I had turned the sat nav on now.

Attachments

• Bee-eater.JPG
    Bee-eater.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 147
  • Corn bunting monegors.JPG
    Corn bunting monegors.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 169
  • Lammy monegros.JPG
    Lammy monegros.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 168
  • White stork.JPG
    White stork.JPG
    500.5 KB · Views: 156
Some highlights...

Attachments

• BBSandgrouse monegros.JPG
    BBSandgrouse monegros.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Great Bustard monegros 26 04.JPG
    Great Bustard monegros 26 04.JPG
    503.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Little Bustard monegros.JPG
    Little Bustard monegros.JPG
    474.4 KB · Views: 170
  • Lesser Kestrel Monegros.JPG
    Lesser Kestrel Monegros.JPG
    646.5 KB · Views: 171
  • car.jpg
    car.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 148
After my excitement of last week more mundane projects:
Finding the Wallcreeper nest is proving difficult. I have got the walk down to 15 mins but I can never seem to find the right path in or same path and end up 'off-road'. Should really be in full call, nest choosing and mating now. Last weeks cold snap may ensure they stay lower and remain more accessible though. The pair at Pas D'Aspe, close to Candanchu, seem to be back on site...
Lammergeier at Gavarnie didn't show yesterday. OK was 6° and raining but thought I might catch a glimpse but wasn't even visible at nest entrance.
Haven't seen a Rock Thrush yet - I'm now 2 days late!
Sounds like at least two Scops calling in the village...

Been playing with camera settings and getting much better results. The sun is out today so I should be snapping away later! Black Shouldered Kite down the mountain and a long way away...

Attachments

• robin.JPG
    robin.JPG
    572.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Sparrow.JPG
    Sparrow.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 167
  • BS kite 2.JPG
    BS kite 2.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 168
Trek around some of the 'breeding' bird haunts.

Great to find Rock Sparrow back at home - must admit haven't been round here for a while. Three birds together.
Crested Lark again three birds together around the airport and a couple fo Corn Bunting.

Sadly, the Sardinian Warblers took most work for no success! The farmer or commune has burnt out most of the gorse and hawthorns (scrub basically). I have an hour scouting around but only covered the section with most cover. I will give them another go but not looking good.

Attachments

• Rock Sparrow LANNE 4 5 2017.JPG
    Rock Sparrow LANNE 4 5 2017.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Rock Sparrow pair LANNE 4 5 2017.JPG
    Rock Sparrow pair LANNE 4 5 2017.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Corn Bunitng Aiport 04 05 2017.JPG
    Corn Bunitng Aiport 04 05 2017.JPG
    689.3 KB · Views: 169
  • CRested Lark 2017.JPG
    CRested Lark 2017.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 159
Spot the Wallcreeper...

OK so at maximum range

I think there may even be two in the first photo but the definite one is flying (I think). I had seen two birds in flight - either displaying or a territorial dispute - and relocated to this spot. It was at extreme range, into the sun and on bins. The birds were in the region of 700m above me height difference so close probably about 1 mile away...

The second picture is easier although couldn't be used for id purposes.

Attachments

• Spot the wallcreeper.JPG
    Spot the wallcreeper.JPG
    663.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Spot the wallcreeper 2.JPG
    Spot the wallcreeper 2.JPG
    403.2 KB · Views: 148
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back