• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd White wagtail Romania (1 Viewer)

Szabo Jozsef

Hi,

Several days ago (19.05) a female like White wagtail caught my eyes with extremely large black patch on the neck. Looking at the pictures I've realised that the only subspecies that has that black stripe behind the eyes it is the "ocularis" Can this bird be ID'd for certain as an ocularis?
Thanx
Jozsef

Attachments

• alba.jpg
    alba.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 78
Ocularis would usually have a more obvious black eyestripe than on this bird, and it would also usually extend in front of the eye onto the lores. There is usually also more white in the wing coverts than is seen on this bird.

I suspect that this is an alba but with unusual amounts of dark pigment in the ear coverts, creating the faint black eyestripe. But I haven't seen alba for a few years, so it would be interesting to hear the views of others about how this compares.

Hi John,
thanks for your reply, my guess was also a nominate "alba" but that narrow stripe behind the eye was a bit confunsing, didn't know if "ocularis" females have or not the lore black (assuming that this bird is a female and not a 2cy male). Anyway it's most probably a normal "alba".
Cheers
József

Last edited:
I was looking at a white wag today in vadu today, jozsef, with a similarly large bib. :gh: a nominate alba i think, including the bird in your pic. cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back