• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warblers from Toscana (1 Viewer)

This one was shot by the coastal reserve near Pisa, so not Toscana. I'm thinking a reed warbler of sorts?

Attachments

• DSC_0863-2.jpg
    DSC_0863-2.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0870-2.jpg
    DSC_0870-2.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0876-2.jpg
    DSC_0876-2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0885-2.jpg
    DSC_0885-2.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 63
How about these two individuals? Pictures 2 & 3 are the same bird

Attachments

• DSC_1144-2.jpg
    DSC_1144-2.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_1223-2.jpg
    DSC_1223-2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC_1224-2.jpg
    DSC_1224-2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 77
I still see a clear Fall Subalpine here. Overexposed pics yes, Garden no ;)

Agreed! This is definitely a warbler from the Subalpine/Moltoni's complex. Note also the tertials lack pale tips and are shortish compared to the long tertials of GW that go way past the secondaries

Agreed! This is definitely a warbler from the Subalpine/Moltoni's complex. Note also the tertials lack pale tips and are shortish compared to the long tertials of GW that go way past the secondaries

Good to know Tib we agree:t:, and also agree you include Moltoni's being Toscana the location.

Is there any way to distinguish the two in this fall bird?

Not with your photos I am afraid. Their respective call, however, is different. A rather dry, short and often repeated in series "tek" or "tac" for Subalpine; while Moltoni's give a softer, longer "trrrr".
You can listen to their calls on xeno-canto.org

No one commented on pp...

The bird in post #6 shows a primary projection of about 1/3 of the length of the tertials. This is perfectly fine for Subalpine/Moltoni's Warbler but much shorter than Garden (which often has 1/1). Also, Garden Warbler lacks the strong contrast between brown ear coverts and pale throat, as well as the yellowish soles.

The bird in post #6 shows a primary projection of about 1/3 of the length of the tertials. This is perfectly fine for Subalpine/Moltoni's Warbler but much shorter than Garden (which often has 1/1). Also, Garden Warbler lacks the strong contrast between brown ear coverts and pale throat, as well as the yellowish soles.

I see a 1/1 pp, it is why I excluded Subalpine Warblers. Now, I guess if you all see a shorter pp, I must be wrong somewhere. Attached between red lines the pp I see.

Attachments

• ppwarbler.jpg
    ppwarbler.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 68
You are comparing tertials of one wing to primaries of the other wing, which makes no sense.
Why not simply compare tertials and primaries of the same wing?
This is the real primary projection:

Attachments

• SubalpineWarbler_DSC_1326-2.jpg
    SubalpineWarbler_DSC_1326-2.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 60
You are comparing tertials of one wing to primaries of the other wing, which makes no sense.
Why not simply compare tertials and primaries of the same wing?
This is the real primary projection:

I'm comparing the same wing, of course!!!!! What is this idea?

I'm now showing you the point of the wings.

As said, I guess I don't see that well, but don't take people like total hopeless and comparing two different wings please.

Attachments

• ppwarbler.jpg
    ppwarbler.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 68
I'm comparing the same wing, of course!!!!! What is this idea?

I'm now showing you the point of the wings.

As said, I guess I don't see that well, but don't take people like total hopeless and comparing two different wings please.

I see...
You are not comparing to the wing, you are comparing to the undertail coverts...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back