• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica September 4 2017 (1 Viewer)

I have Zeiss umber filters for my daliencies with Snow Leaoperd.

LGM

LGM

Sorry to hear your umber is giving you trouble and you need to filter it. I doubt if it bothers Snow Leopards anyway so you are probably OK just giving your umber a thorough wipe now and again.

Lee

I just weighed some old 10x40 (122M) Trinovids at 575 grams.

(8x32 - 495 grams, Amplivids - 347 grams)

Same scales weigh the SV8.5 at 846 grams.
Noctivid 8x42 - 852 grams.

The other brilliant feature of of the old Trinovid focus and diopter setting is the ability to adjust focus with forefinger and diopter with ring finger or pinky - both on the fly. Both can be adjusted simultaneously. Sounds slightly tricky and perhaps useless, but its brilliant IMO. Incredibly intuitive and easy to master. Perfect for tweaking focus. Combine this with a smooth precision and first class tactility absent in other binoculars and you have focusing heaven.

Let's hope the new trinovids capture some of this.

Last edited:
I REALLY want to get in line for the 7X35.... I'm just really not so sure the 15mm of eye relief is enough. 15 and 15.5mm of eye relief is enough with the previous generation Trinovid 42mm. But a mm here or there could rule the 7X35 out...depends on the quality of the data which Leica isn't always the most accurate.

I wear glasses and 15mm should be fine for me. I use 7x42mm Leica hd+ and I am reluctant to change. Would have to believe the view was comparable. Then it would come down to weight v waterproof. Since my hardcore days are running out weight would win out. Better ergonomics. I doubt that 7x35 will be optically comparable. Waiting for reports.

Hi Jan,

I understand. Thank you for providing the transmission ratio for Zeiss Dialyt 8X56. It is as I had guessed, nice!

Regarding "more transmission = better binoculars" I agree with you of course, it would make the binoculars slightly better for dawn or dusk use. My point was a) 10% more transmission doesn't mean 10% more "perceived brightness" and b) more "perceived brightness" is not always desirable. In many cases, such as when you are looking for a snow leopard in the snowy mountains of Tibet, less brightness = much better viewing experience ;)

You can compare transmission graphs here
https://www.allbinos.com/174-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Dialyt_8x56_B_GA_T*_ClassiC.html

I was using the 6x24 today alongside the 10x Noctivid. No problems whatsoever. Never once did I feel I was looking at a compromised view in the older trinovid.
That's quite the imbalanced competitive comparison and speaks volumes that the Leitz 6x24 could be so good, but it also mirrors my feelings about my old 8x32b that is still quite the impressive instrument, even when used alongside my UVHD+ models.
Looking forward to being able to join conversations about 7x35 Trinovids, not to mention the 6x24.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back