• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange baby bird? (1 Viewer)

geoshar18

At least I think it is a juvenile....it is the size of a robin, and appears to have a tuft on top. (We are in Eastern Ontario.)
The photo isn't too clear..used a zoom lens but was still quite far away.
Does anyone have any ideas what it might be? (Very much bigger than the purple finches we have around here.)

Attachments

• image1 (custom).jpg
    image1 (custom).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 333
Thank you for your reply Charles.
I had also posted the same photo on another birding site..and received the following response----->

"OOOOHHHH!!!!!!!
that would be a baby red-headed white-bellied brown-tailed feathered-plumper. They are very rare, and once thought to be extinct.
Your sighting could well make the ornithology books! Call Cornell!
Call Audubon! "

Do you know of such a birds existence??

They're pulling you leg, Geo. Better to start studying the book and form your own considered opinions on what you see. Any chapter on Feather-plumpers in your birdbook?

Nearest thing i have seen to this is a Common Rosefinch - I don't think this is one of those but does it get us in the right direction?

I must admit the first thing that struck me was a "Carpodacus-type" finch, i.e Purple/House Finch. Our Common Rosefinches in Europe are closely related to your Purple Finches and House Finches but you say it was much bigger than the Purple Finches, so that doesn't seem right. But there are numerous finches in this family and I imagine they are often kept as caged birds.

E

Edward, we have many house finches, purple finches and red-poles in the area...this bird looked nothing like them.
It also has a "tuft"..not a crest as seen on the cardinals.
I couldn't tell the beak type, it was too far away.
(It had fluffed its feathers as an injured bird will do.)

I was wondering if it could be some kind of small hawk or bird of prey?

Hi
I would have to agree with Charles' first guess, an escapee Red-crested Cardinal. I don't think it is a raptor of any kind.
The plumage detail that can be seen on the photo looks good for the cardinal. With it being fluffed up it would look bigger than it would normally. Tuft verses crest, what about moult? the majority of birds here in the UK are moulting at the moment, could it have lost some of the crest feathers creating a tuft.

Mark

Well goodness I have been doing my homework, ..and it sure DOES look like a Red-crested cardinal!
Apparently they can survive in the wild, and endure a winter.

Wonder where the "baby" came from?
(Would one mate with a wild bird...say a cardinal?)

Our blue jays are moulting..so I guess that is also a possibility.

Maybe, in the grosbeak family. Or maybe a white winged
crossbill. It's not a pine siskin. Does it have a beak like a grossbeak? Is that just a glare on its chest, or is that white?
That is a very weird bird.

I did a little research in one of my very old bird books..[my grandma's]
My guess is I saw a juvenile Pine Grosbeak..as an adult it can reach about 9 to 10 inches. Its colors can vary for the male,
from a deep rose to almost a bright poppy color..darker wings will have white bars and it will have a very slight forking to its tail.
The breast can start of very light color of the head and blend out to pale underside in the female..and or juvenile.
Not usually a migratory bird..They are the largest of all the grosbeaks. We have the red-breasted grosbeak here..and the evening grosbeak about 1/2 the yr.
The picture in my old book[very small handbook is colored old drawings..] but I am convinced it must be my first "Pine grosbeak" sighting.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back