• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with ID for newbie? (1 Viewer)

pmdpmd

Please could anyone identify this bird I photographed in Oxford this morning, 12th Jan?

Please excuse dodgy quality!

Many thanks,
Paul.

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 462
I'll carry the motion, Paul, and say it's definitely the Mistle Thrush.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way. Hope you'll use the 'Say Hello' Forum and tell us a bit more about yourself.

Yes it's a mistle cos of the whiteness on the cheek ini one of the pics and the density of the spotty chest. There is nothing to compare it with but looks big so must be a Mistle instead of a Song. I can't owt like malar stripes or the like that a Song has either. Neverthless the pics pose a challenge.

Mistle Thrush - but don't be put off by the comments about them being common - they only are if there are plenty around in the area in which you live !
Unless you're in the right areas, chances are you may never come across them.

Thank you all for your helpful comments. My only reference guide is a book given to me in 1976 by my Grandmother (I was 8!), which unfortunately does not have the Mistle Thrush in it.

I have since looked at a friends book, and look up the Mistle Thrush, I recognise the picture.

It was the first time I had seen one in the garden, so I will keep my fingers crossed that it is here to stay - he does seem quite a friendly fellow!

I recently replaced my 1976 Hamlyn guide (present from my father) with the Collins bird guide, I highly recommend it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back