• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stuffed Sparrowhwak (1 Viewer)

Marcus Conway - ebirder

When I was a boy a Sparrowhawk flew into our garage windows and died. My parents thought it would make a nice addition to the house if it was stuffed and mounted in a glass cabinet :eek!:

Anyway they are downsizing and having paid quite a bit of money back in the 80's to get the work down are reticent to throw it in a skip. A license is needed for sale and they would be keen to just have it rehoused.

They were thinking of Liverpool Museum, but I wondered if there may be a more suitable beneficiary???

Any ideas.

Most museums don't take mounted speciemens anymore. It's a question of space ( if you saw the number of mounts Liverpool Museum has in storage you'd gibber ) so, apart from getting a license and selling it, the only other suggestion I can make is 'keep it in the family' - you take it over. I know it's not that helpful, but that's the best I can do.

Chris

A quick google seems to suggest that you would only need a licence to sell it not give it away and that only applies to protected species (which of course Sparrowhawk is).

The bird is located in Lancs - I wondered if Martin Mere or Mere Sands Wood may want it?

Not been to Mere Sands in Years but quite a few visitor centres have this sort of thing and bones etc

If its still in good condition its probably worth more now, then when it was first done. you may still be able to get a certificate for it. Have a look on ebay to see how much they are making now. I would have it, but I now have so many sparrowhawks I have no more room left in the house.

When I was a boy a Sparrowhawk flew into our garage windows and died. My parents thought it would make a nice addition to the house if it was stuffed and mounted in a glass cabinet :eek!:

I'm in a similar situation, but it was a friends friends window. It lay in the freezer for months before being stuffed/mounted. I still have it. It does generally look a bit startled though...

The document required for sale is an Article 10 but this would cost you at least £25 (last time I looked). I am not sure what you have to do in the way of proof to obtain this but potentially it would still be required for free donation too. The local Wildlife Trust would probably be interested but I have a feeling they would need the Article 10 to display the bird anyway if it was collected post-1950s.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back