• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barbary Falcon??? (1 Viewer)

It's a juvenile
There is no answer but the question is here: Do other Peregrine Falcon subspecies also occur in the archipelago?
http://digital.csic.es/bitstream/10261/45128/1/Rodriguez et al 2011 Bull BOC.pdf

Peregrine Falcon occurs in Canaries for sure, some Falco peregrinus brookei and Falco peregrinus (minor) 'atlantis' are seen breeding on the Atlantis coast of Morocco down to Western Sahara, it is sure than at least some non-breeding birds cross to Canaries.

I published about 15 years ago reasons for which Barbary Falcons cannot be a sub-species of Peregrine. With more knowledge since, I think they could be even less related than I believed, not deserving to belong to Peregrine super-species.

Range of sympatry can be wider than thought before, with population of breeding of Barbary occuring in brookei and minor (including 'atlantis') ranges.

It is long to develop and argue too much about Canaries I didn't visit, but some birds shown in the paper are clearly 'atlantis' that might be an intermediate (variable) population between brookei and minor, and my guess is that both Barbary and Peregrine breed sympatrically in the archipelago, Peregrine being very variable because of influence of at least two very different subspecies.

This single photo is tough, I've certainly a Peregrine feeling much more than Barbary, but can't go further.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back