• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unkown Owl from Equador (1 Viewer)

Where is Leticia/Amazonia/Ecuador? I don't know of a Leticia in Ecuador, nor a specific place named Amazonia in Ecuador.

I assumed is was some unknown little place in the lowland of NE Ecuador. It it is somewhere else, then I will withdraw my guess ;)

Niels

yes sorry guys, my mistake - it wasn´t in equador, it was leticia in columbia, the bordertown to brazil and near peru at the amazonas. travel southamerika for a long time, so sometimes i mix it up

On range this should be either (southern - depending whether you accept the split) tawny-bellied screech owl or tropical screech owl. I think it may be tropical because of the clear whitish inner facial disk surrounded by relatively thick black "c"s, and because eye colour seems quite yellow to me. Also because ground seems fairly grey (although of course different colour morphs exist for both species)

If I read König correctly, then both northern and southern TbS should be possible (but you might have better info). Within southern, yellow eyes are possible and there is a morph with pale facial disk. What I do not like about Tropical is the barring seems stronger on this bird than it should be.

Niels

Comments on range come from the maps in Birds of Northern South America. I think this was published after Konig (a book I do not have), although its range info has been superceded for many other species. I think I'd like to see a pic with the eyebrows clearer to make a more confident id. What type of forest (habitat) was it in?...Primary would favour tawny - bellied, edge /secondary tropical

sorry i am a little bit late. but the habitat was a big forestlike garden at my guesthouse in a small village near leticia. quite far from the next real forest.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back