• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coldstream (Vernon), B.C. Canada (1 Viewer)

Loutsy

Hi - attached is photo of bird spotted on August 22 on Middleton Mountain. Can anyone advise what kind of sparrow this is? Looks to me that it has black spots on the lower part of its chest. Sorry for poor quality photo (was some distance away). Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• Unknown Sparrow Aug 22 17 IMGP4798.jpg
    Unknown Sparrow Aug 22 17 IMGP4798.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 85
The black spots are simply areas where the feathers are not lying normally. Though the outer parts of the belly feathers are pale, on many birds there's an inner section, and/or a separate layer of down, that's black.

Thanks for the ID. Rock Wrens are seen in our area, but I have lived here for 30+ years and not seen one. It was reported in 2016 that when they were building in a new area they had been spotted by the construction workers and they had put aside an area where they were hoping they would come back to nest. I went for a hike in the area in August and spotted this bird but could not get close and the bird did not call, so I was unsure if this was in fact a Rock Wren, as I never seen one. So many thanks again for the ID!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back