• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few odds and sods from Cromer, Norfolk last weekend. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Apologies for these ''mostly'' distant poor images, however some may be ''do-able'' cheers.

The first image shows a line of Gannets with two birds in the last three at the end of line looking appreciably smaller than said Gannets, I think they were possibly Cory's Shears? If so are they known to tag on to ''Gannet lines?''

2nd and 3rd Images Diver sps., am assuming RTD?

4th Image looks to my eye...an immature Shag, presume not uncommon on this coast albeit the first one that I've found on the Southern North Sea coast.

Adding another Gannet line image (last image)....hope it helps? The two birds towards the end were (last and 3rd from last) certainly ''smaller''.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1570253.jpeg  Line of Gannets 1..jpeg
    P1570253.jpeg Line of Gannets 1..jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 189
  • P1570295.jpeg  Diver sp 3..jpeg
    P1570295.jpeg Diver sp 3..jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 163
  • P1570298.jpeg  Diver sp 1.jpeg
    P1570298.jpeg Diver sp 1.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 140
  • P1570245.jpeg  Unusual 1..jpeg
    P1570245.jpeg Unusual 1..jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 155
  • P1570251.jpeg  Line of Gannets 2..jpeg
    P1570251.jpeg Line of Gannets 2..jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
First image shows immature gannets tagging on at the end.

Divers seem to be showing an awful lot of white on flanks for RTD, 'sp. 3' also showing pale upperwing...possible BTD, but I'll leave others with more expertise to take over from here...

I'm not seeing anything to rule out RTD for the divers. Black-throated are as rare as hens teeth in Norfolk whereas there are literally thousands of RTD.

Shag, and gannets for the others, although there's not a lot to go on.

I'm not seeing anything to rule out RTD for the divers. Black-throated are as rare as hens teeth in Norfolk whereas there are literally thousands of RTD.

Shag, and gannets for the others, although there's not a lot to go on.

The two "tag ons" were c2/3 the size of the Gannets, essentially long-winged, short-tailed, grey brown uppers and mostly pale unders, Flight action not dissimilar to the latter....I can't compute anything other than one of the larger Shearwaters as nothing else comes near. Perhaps the main thrust of my question should have been...have there ever been any documented cases of either of the two larger Shearwaters ever "tagging on" to a line of Gannets. On the day there was a N.N.Easterly breeze bringing intermittent showers across the coast, also columns of the latter were mainly moving South, certainly into double figures during my hour's birdwatch from the pier.

Cheers

Yes undoubtedly Cory's Shearwaters. They have a strange parasitic relationship with Gannets and like to follow them about. At Bempton I have often seen them occupy Gannet's nests and demand fish!

I don’t think it’s unusual for shearwaters to move with gannets - I’ve seen sooty and corys doing it recently.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back