• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a young Bluejay? (1 Viewer)

jschock

Shotting in Alabama
I think this is a young Bluejay but am not sure. Any help will be appericated.

Thank you

Jeff S

Attachments

• bluejayyoung.jpg
    bluejayyoung.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 362
I see where you get the similarity to Blue Jay Jeff, but this is in fact a White-breasted Nuthatch. Nuthaches are smaller than Blue Jays and live in woodland. There are 4 species in the U.S. Brown-headed, Red-breasted, Pygmy, and White-breasted. Here in the U.K. we only have 1 species, Eurasian Nuthatch, though there is a very famous record of a Red-breasted Nuthatch which spent a winter over here.

Darrell

That's a belting picture Jeff! I wish I'd had those kind of views of the Red-breasted Nuthatch in the 80's(?).

Jeff, on behalf of admin and all the moderators, welcome to Bird Forum. As you have found out, we have many experts on board and you've certainly come to the right place to have your questions answered.

Hope to see more of your photos if this is anything to go by.

Thank you all. What a nice place to visit. Well I guess I can officially add a Nuthatch to my record.
Thanks all

Jeff S

Great photo, Jeff. What else ya got?

I do love nuthatches, and hope like crazy that this winter will be a good one for the red-breasted ones. Have only seen them once at my feeders.

Welcome to the forum, Jeff. It's a GREAT place!

These little white breasteds are wonderful birds! You're lucky to see one and get such a great photo. I only had them at my feeders for one winter 2 years ago.... last year, they never came back. :(

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back