• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rican Hummingbird - ID please (1 Viewer)

TonyC

On the balcony feeder at Rancho Naturalista. Possibly juvenile Violet Sabrewing because of the size and decurved bill ?

Attachments

• mystery_hummer.jpg
    mystery_hummer.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 276
Tony,

I think you are right on this one. Your location was at 3,000 ft which is the right elevation for the Sabrewing. Probably a juvenile female (juv male shows purple throat). ID is size (almost 6") - you suggested it was large but I can't really tell from the photo, then it should have a small white post ocular spot - not clear from attached photo but appears to be there. Juv female is similar to adult female but has greyish undersides - again appears to fit. Decurved bill is stronger in the female also. My reference was Howell's Birds of Mexico. Pictures and descriptions in Stile's Birds of Costa Rica were not as good.

I have seen and photographed an adult male Violet Sabrewing in Costa Rica (Monte Verde). They are beautiful!

Hi Tony,

I'm inclined to agree with Dave. Juvenile seems right. I saw my "lifer" at the La Paz Waterfall in Costa Rica although I can't remember the elevation.

dennis

Just for kicks I'd like everyone to take a second look at a very old thread. After visiting Rancho last month and seeing Green-breasted Mango there I'm wondering if the photo in question is in fact a female GBM ?
That distinctive stripe seems to go all the way down the belly and I see little evidence of a postocular spot and white outer tail tips as in fem. Violet Sabrewing. Can you convince me as well that this is a fem. Violet Sabrewing ?

After checking the field guide I am pretty convinced this is a juvenile Green-breasted Mango. The rufous lining between the green colored back and white underparts have me convinced.

I don't have access to my books at the moment to check out the details, but these photos seem to show that it is a Green-breasted Mango. I have included a photo of mine of a Green-breasted Mango (in flight) and three photos of sitting Violet Sabrewings courtesy of the Salvanatura photo collection that were taken by Jenifer Smith.

Tom

Attachments

• Viol Sabrewing Nuev Hor Dec 04 J Smith.JPG
    Viol Sabrewing Nuev Hor Dec 04 J Smith.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Viol Sabrewing Nuev Hor Jan 05 J Smith.jpg
    Viol Sabrewing Nuev Hor Jan 05 J Smith.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Violet Sabrewing SVNH 08.05.04 JS (3).JPG
    Violet Sabrewing SVNH 08.05.04 JS (3).JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Gr-breast Mango Roatan Mar 05 TJ (1).jpg
    Gr-breast Mango Roatan Mar 05 TJ (1).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 103
Hi, Tony and the others! :hi:

For me there is no doubt about the Green-breasted Mango (Anthracothorax prevostii). Female Violet Sabrewing is a completely different bird, even if she still has curved bill. I have a pic of a lady Mango taken at Rancho Naturalista in my gallery, there you can check the similarity of both girls.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Tom, Marian, Motmot thankyou for your valuable input ! I put the utmost trust in all of your hummingbird I.D. abilities . Green-breasted Mango matches up perfectly !
-stephen

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back