• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Med Gull?? - I don't think so! (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
I don't claim to be a gull expert, so far be it from me! However, I note that the bird's belly looks even darker than the underwing. Also it's a clear blue sky. Given this, couldn't it just be intense shadow? And the right upperwing looks pretty normal to me. I'd have thought the chances are that, if there were BHG features in the underwing, there'd also be some up on the upperwing.

Jason

Quite strange looking isn't it. Funny that the underwing looks like BH Gull but (from what's visible) the upperwing doesn't particularly (though not sure it looks like Med Gull either). If it's a hybird it strikes me as odd that the underwing is the only place where any obvious BH Gull features crop up. I'd be interested in more learned views on this.

I think it rather depends where the sun was - something I can't tell from the photo. However, I'm not so sure that the white flash is on the underwing. The wing is clearly bowed and it seems to me as if the flash is due to the sun catching the bent edge of the UPPERwing. It must have been a strong sun to catch it like that, but it would explain the shadow.

Mind you, I was always crap at judging photos, so don't take my word as gospel!

Jason

Hi Michael,

Erm.... I dunno! The only thing that isn't right for a Med is that underwing, very strange! I agree with Fifbirder that if it was a hybrid then it must surely have a different upperwing to match the underside (?)
Well spotted by the way. As for the caption I think it is a general one as it appears above all the images and is just a space inviting the owner of the image to tell the browser about the bird.

Mark

Looks OK for Med Gull to me - the white that you think you can see on the leading edge of the underwing is actually the upperside of the leading edge and causing your confusion. IMO

Hi
Yep, looks ok for Med Gull to me, have seen hybrids in Ireland and they looked nothing like this!. Does go to show though how underwing shadow can affect id, i particularly find this with seabirds flying close to the water. Have had manxies looking all dark (Balearic-ish) until structure and jizz take over. These things don't alter.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back