• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Evaluations (1 Viewer)

I had a 36X World Class Plus bench rest scope in the late 90's that was very decent optically. Made in Japan if I'm not mistaken. I don't think they've had anything since that I would be interested in.

Bruce

No. Please don't get Tasco's unless they are old. Some of the older Japanese made porro ones were actually pretty good. Watch Astromart for them.

The more I think about how I will do my evaluations the more I realize I'm getting in a little over my head here. I'm going to keep my evaluations simple and based on what I actually know about and care about. They won't impress the pros here but for someone who's just learning they might be worthwhile. And It will reflect my needs and desires about optics rather than trying to play with the big boys. I'll be more comfortable and relaxed and it will be a lot more fun.

Over time I'll learn more and can evaluate things better. Or not.

I think that is the best way to find what works best for you.

Also, any and all input you give on your experience with a specific binocular is greatly appreciated and always worthwhile in my book.

John

Don't worry about rolling globe unless you buy some Swarovisions. They are the only ones I have seen that some people don't like. They are awesome optics but a little weird if you notice it. A bit like a carnival mirror. Almost like they are tricking your eyes. Started bothering me after awhile. The Nikon EDG's have the sharp edges with a field flattener too but not any noticeable rolling ball.

Like I said to Steve C., you can have your cake and eat it too!

How about doing a comparison review of the 8x32 EDG vs. 8x32 FL? You could beat allbinos to the punch.

You usually do your A/Bs after you've dumped one or the other. It would be nice to read it while you have both bins in hand. Start a new thread.

Brock

You would think that the Tasco joke was a given, but after looking through the pair Frank has, I can tell you their the real deal. Kinda shocked me, had to look twice to make sure I was looking through Tasco's. Nice bins.

John

black crow

I don't know if you have ever been directed to this web page ? If there is a more complete online reference than this, I couldn't tell you where. I don't think anyone will dispute Professor EdZ's credentials as a tester-reviewer-debunker.

Bruce

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/44730/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

I think that basically I know a good set of binoculars when I look through them but honestly I've never really thought about it until I joined this forum in December. I joined because I got excited about bird watching and the optical end of that. I've always carried compact binoculars but in November bought my first pair of full sized optics. I didn't really know about more than a half dozen companies and did my initial research on those. I had a low end budget but wanted something really good for my money. I knew from the inexpensive Nikon compacts I've owned that it could be done. I've owned maybe five pair of Nikons and one pair of Swift compacts in my life. I knew how good the Nikons were so I was biased for sure. Where I live it's kind of hard to put your hands on a lot of binocs so I went mostly on reviews. I ended up with the new Nikon Monarch 3 8x42. I think I did ok but now know I could have done better for that $200. That's my binocular history up to now so you get some idea of where I'm coming from.

When I got here I got swept up in the optical excitement. No one I know personally cares about optics like I do. So like a kid in a candy store I jumped in with both feet and within the next week (waiting for deliveries) I will own nine pairs of binoculars. :t:|:S|

Better late than never I'm realizing I don't know enough about evaluating these optics to know which ones to keep and which to let go of. I do understand some of the basics of course but I hear terms here that mean almost nothing to me.

So I would like to ask for some help here.

Would some of you be willing to make a list of the most important things to look for when evaluating and testing these optics? Many of these binocs will be close optically but there well be other things that I will not know to look for to separate the good from the great. Or if there is a link to a thread here that already covers this subject. I'd greatly appreciate the help. And if you can briefly describe how to make the tests to determine these different mysterious things.

Help out a newb dudes. Pretty please. I'd like to be able to make some reasonably worthwhile evaluations to share with you all.

black crow

I don't know if you have ever been directed to this web page ? If there is a more complete online reference than this, I couldn't tell you where. I don't think anyone will dispute Professor EdZ's credentials as a tester-reviewer-debunker.

Bruce

He's right up there with the Duke of Debunkers, Carl Sagan. :)

Although, as I recall, he recanted on his theory of "full illumination of the exit pupil" and you can still find multiple threads on that concept, complete with numerous measurements.

Even a debunker sometimes needs to be debunked. That's what we have Henry for.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back