• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Save 50% on sunflower seeds! (1 Viewer)

scampo

Steve Campsall
I don't suppose I'm alone in worrying about the cost of feeding garden birds. I now buy 20kg sacks of sunflower hearts at £20-00 from a local pet shop and that has brought the cost down a good deal but here's another useful tip that seems to be working well in our garden...

On a visit to Rutland Water reserve shop, I bought a clear plastic "plate" that screws into a thread on the bottom of our bird feeder and catches the vast amount of half eaten and fallen seed that otherwise mostly goes to waste. Anyway, the result is that I now have to fill my feeder only half as often - and still enough food falls to the ground to keep the dunnocks and wrens happy.

Two other benefits - no more of that awful hairy, spongy mat of fungus growing on the soil under the feeders and, maybe because it swings about so much, no more grey squirrels as of yet.

Last edited:
We do the same. Both in buying the sunflower hearts by the sack and in using the plastic tray that fits to the bottom of the Defender feeders - much more economic, tidier and less wastage :t:

IanF said:
We do the same. Both in buying the sunflower hearts by the sack and in using the plastic tray that fits to the bottom of the Defender feeders - much more economic, tidier and less wastage :t:
Hi Ian

I am amazed at how much less often we have to fill the feeder now - we'll recover the tenner it cost (a lot for what it is, really) over the winter, I expect. I was more concerned about the thick mat of fungus that was growing underneath as it was a real mess amongst the plants under the feeder - that has now disappeared.

Hi Steve. A tenner?? I've just bought two of them from CJ, one large at £8.95 and the other one smaller at either 4 or £5.95 - can't remember.

helenol said:
Hi Steve. A tenner?? I've just bought two of them from CJ, one large at £8.95 and the other one smaller at either 4 or £5.95 - can't remember.
Mine was the large one - but I paid no postage, so it's about the same, I suppose, Helen. It works a treat, though, so I am very satisfied with it.

I made the same kind of thing myself. I bought some very large flower pot trays from a garden centre - about a pound each or so. Drilled small drainage holes in and one large central hole - the screwed the feeder to pole connector through it into the feeder and bingo!! The higher sides trap more than the clear perspex ones from CJ's and now Dunnocks and Robins feed in the trays - even safer than on the ground with cats around. I have found the drainage holes are not big enoughand get clogged so I have to drill them out a bit - but they work well for us.

Doug said:
I made the same kind of thing myself. I bought some very large flower pot trays from a garden centre - about a pound each or so. Drilled small drainage holes in and one large central hole - the screwed the feeder to pole connector through it into the feeder and bingo!! The higher sides trap more than the clear perspex ones from CJ's and now Dunnocks and Robins feed in the trays - even safer than on the ground with cats around. I have found the drainage holes are not big enoughand get clogged so I have to drill them out a bit - but they work well for us.
I was going to make mine myself, Doug, but there I was in the shop and there it was... Sometimes £10-00 seems very little, other times it seems a lot.

Do you have a photo of your feeders? I'd be interested to see.

Doug said:

I found that a small cat litter tray works very well but do drill small holes in the base. They cost about £1 each. A large litter tray turned upside and placed just above the small one down keeps the rain away

The problem with trays is that after a little while the collared doves work out how to perch on them.
I started out very pleased with the lack of waste, but after some months I had 11-12 collared doves permanently resident and I was filling both feeders daily (sunflower hearts) and eventually I took the trays off again and am now back to two resident doves which is about right ( I also put a bit out on the windowsill for them because I feel a bit guilty about making things difficult .

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back