• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Seasons Are a-Changing (1 Viewer)

Torchepot

United Kingdom
Despite the beautiful weather today we had 648 cranes over the garden between 5.30 & 6.00 p.m. Further South someone reported between 4-5,000 in 20 minutes. Cold times ahead!

Though I listened really hard I couldn't hear the youngsters whistling as the formations went over (usually a feature of the autumn migration) but maybe it's not audible when they're flying so high? Bit of a mystery though as I had no problem hearing the adults even before they came into view a great distance away.

Also had an adult fat dormouse fall out of an alder tree into a bramble bush in the middle of the day, apparently unharmed it stayed there for a good twenty minutes in plain view before scarpering. A treat to see one so clearly |:d|

Up to 15,000 cranes in three hours reported passing through near the junction of the boundaries of depts 19 / 87 /24 (Correze / Haute-Vienne / Dordogne) this evening. Such numbers usually herald a serious change in the weather :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back