• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tit in Shanghai (1 Viewer)

bzring

While in Century Park (世纪公园) in Shanghai (Pudong) this weekend I found an ecumenical flock foraging in the leaf litter among saplings by the edge of a pond, consisting of tree sparrows, bramblings, vinous throated parrotbills, a few common moorhens, and one tit. The tit seemed slightly smaller than the sparrows, its black capped appeared to wrap around its head to join (or come close to joining) its black chin, with a small triangular white patch on the nape. Its sides were slightly buffy but in general its colors were gray, white and black. It did not cleanly present its front to me, but I did not see a vertical breast stripe. There was no sign of an obvious crest to its head. It stayed low among the leaf litter foraging, rarely getting more than a few inches off the ground (until the whole flock was routed out by a fellow fishing).

I'm new to birding in China, and never in Shanghai (I live in Beijing). I've seen a great tit (now parus minor?) and willow/marsh tits near Beijing, but never a coal tit. I didn't have a guide book with me, but due to its size, white nape and buffy sides I guessed that this was a coal tit, but the lack of a crest or a good view of its front makes me wary. Do coal tits in Shanghai normally present a crest? Do great tits have have buffy sides? Thanks!

I'm not sure this is quite relevant, but there was some discussion about variation in Great Tits in Shanghai (with pictures) here - post 181 and following.

Thanks for the links. The bird certainly feels like a coal tit, but I know of the regional variability of these birds, and still harbor doubts. Is there anything definite that can be said about the Shanghai area, such as coal tits rarely present a crest here?
If not, I'll resolve to get a better look next time. Distinguishing between marsh and willow tits is also on my to-do list.

I'll second the suggestion of Coal Tit based on your description. Sometimes they have distinct crests, sometimes it's not so obvious.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back