• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leighton Moss (1 Viewer)

Carolb60

First Time at the Moss, I usually watch the garden and woodland birds!!!!
Off I went with my guide book :) saw a group of Jack Snipes flying around, then 2 Cormorant, a Spoonbill, a Great Crested Grebe, and Red Shank among others.
The best of the day was when a guy pointed out a bird of prey, I watched it fly round until it went out of sight, I was then told it was a female Marsh Harrier!!!!!
I had never seen one of these so it made my day. Met lots of nice people who were happy to help me identify the birds.

What a grand time you had Carol. I've a real soft spot for LM and usually try and call in there on my way south to visit family. Sometimes I only get as far as Warton Crags though, if it's the breeding season for the Peregrines.

It's always a great day if you see a Marsh Harrier... jus wonderful to watch hunting over the reed beds. You can read more about Leighton Moss here in our Opus article.

It's a nice reserve. I haven't been for a while, as Burton Mere is much improved and a lot nearer for me, but I saw my first Spoonbills and Marsh Harriers at Leighton Moss, so it will always be special for that.

Glad you had a good day at Leighton Moss Carol, did you get to the Eric Morecambe hide it is a good place for the waders and did you try the home made cake at the Cafe ? Chris Packham loves it.

Hi Carol - I am glad you enjoyed your day. I am going to have to stick my neck out and say the Snipe you saw are more likely to be Common Snipe - Jack Snipe have not really arrived in any significant number yet and they dont usually fly around in flocks much especially on the western side of the UK. There have been no reports of Spoonbills for a while in Lancashire so I wonder if this could actually have been a Little Egret? Of course they do visit the reserve and not everything is put online but usually such a sighting would be.

Leighton Moss has charm in every season. One of the most magical times to visit is at sunrise in the autumn. I have gone off Leighton Moss a bit - I do not know why though. I do manage to visit a few times a year and hope to see more of the nature reserves in the immediate area.

@ G6 UXU - i love that cake too - orange drizzle, walnut, cappucino, mocha etc etc :p

Yeah.... they do have good food there... especially cakes LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back