• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Enjoying it whilst it lasts (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dunstan

Passing up the delights of the Great Knot (well I did see it in the first place) went to a field a couple of miles from the house which has flooded during the downpours.

Spent a very enjoyable hour there, as well as 100 Blackwits there were 2 juv Spotshanks, 2 Ruff and 2 Green Sands. Then best of all I picked out two Garganey which had either just arrived or been overlooked by other visitors.

And to think, the habitat wasn't there a week ago and there may not be much left of it in another week.

Stephen.

Well, I had a look this evening but it was a case of nice floods, shame about the Moscow State Circus over the road. Not too much about but maybe tomorrow when the circus has left town.

I think I've said this before on BF, and I think Andrew (Fifebirder) was in that discussion, that there is something great about seeing waders on temporary floods as opposed to reserves with hides. Only my personal preference of course.

Couldn't go tonight but the Garganey have lingered and been confirmed by others, which is always nice and a bit of a relief.

Me too, I love doing my WeBS survey on the canal as it is not a managed birding reserve. I can walk for miles and miles and only see a couple of dog walkers and a jogger. When I do see a wader flying over it is more exciting than counting 500+ of the same wader at Bowling Green Marsh! Applies to all the birds I see too. Even though I had a low count of 29 today I enjoyed it thoroughly!

There's been a Pec there the last two days. Tonight I watched it side by side with a juv. male Ruff. It is the third Pec in the Mythop area (on the outskirts of Blackpool) this year following two together in May, they are becoming more frequent than Wood Sands on the Fylde.

Stephen.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back