• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-legged Gull, England (2 Viewers)

grahamB

I have posted pics of 3 different birds here in the last couple of months, each of which I thought was a YLG, but none have been confirmed as such. The bird in the attached pics (taken today, Gloucestershire) looked to have yellowish legs but definitely a mid-grey mantle, darker than BHG, lighter than LBB, about the same as Common Gull. Size-wise, it looked as big as a Herring. The only thing I can't seem to get the hang of is YLG structure (head shape, neck proportions, etc.), so anyone like to comment? (If this aint a YLG, I think I will have to give up looking for them!)

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    351 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    411 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    501.5 KB · Views: 134
You’ve got one confirmed now. Nice angular head, fairly bright bare part colouration and that deep-based ‘chunky’ bill. This bird’s quite difficult to age but I’d go for a 4th year bird with fairly retarded bill development with the gonys appearing fairly dark.

I'd have a look at its size compared to the accompanying Little Egret and check the next Common Gull you see next to this species. I'd be pretty surprised if you've ever seen a Common Gull as big as this beast!

Congratulations.

Cheers and good birding

Rich

Last edited:
Not that I see the deep-based bill that obviously but looks like a YLG.
Agree with Richard on the age type.

JanJ

Thanks guys. The comparison with Common Gull was mantle colour not size, Rich!
I will keep looking for YLGs, though they clearly aren't "easy"!

Graham

Thanks guys. The comparison with Common Gull was mantle colour not size, Rich!
I will keep looking for YLGs, though they clearly aren't "easy"!

Graham

Indeed, my apologies... perhaps I shouldn't skim read as much as I do. Hope you enjoy more of these beasts once you get your eye in. Keeps me occupied all year here on The Thames.

Good birding

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back