• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

pick

Just got a new lens delivered and within a couple of minutes this sparrow muncher lands on the garden hut to check out the bird feeders,panic fumble fumble and then managed to fire of a couple of shots before it moved off.

Attachments

• sparrow-hawk-.jpg
    sparrow-hawk-.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 234
If it finds a good feeding spot then it will likely be back. We have between 1-3 visiting our garden daily.

Looks like a juvenile bird you've got there from this year. Very reddish-brown and bold marks on the front.

Nice shot Pick!:t: A sparrowhawk regularly patrols my garden but I've never got a picture as good as yours.

I had one in my garden wall few weeks ago, it stayed there for quite some time so took a few pics, not the best ones. They will be in the Gallery soon.

beautiful bop,wish we had them come into are garden,

They make me hold my breath for a while when I see them. I have 1 male, 1 female, and another that was a juvenile male, I think. They visit every day, as there's more than 70 birds in my garden at times.

Recently I've spotted a Goshawk on the fence. So it's exciting for me, not so much for the prey.

Recently I've spotted a Goshawk on the fence. So it's exciting for me, not so much for the prey.
goodness me that would be an amazing record for a london garden, are you sure it wasn't a particularly sturdy looking female sparrowhawk? they can show pretty striking undertail coverts too.

goodness me that would be an amazing record for a london garden, are you sure it wasn't a particularly sturdy looking female sparrowhawk? they can show pretty striking undertail coverts too.

Well I'm as sure as I can be without a picture. I saw it a couple of days ago, I posted about it here. You'll see from reading that thread that I have many Birds and Squirrels in my garden. I'm also fortunate as far as trees, bushes, and wasteland nearby.

Like the pic you managed to get, I think you may well see some funny antics from this one, I had one young male, who was so clumsy I knicknamed him bonkers, as he crashed into the bird table, crashlanded by my feet, and made a desparate attempt to land gracefully, but made a right pigs ear of it, got tangled up in the fine tracery of an acer. Had the whole family in histerics, he was so clumsy, I actually felt sorry for him, he never seemed to catch anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back