• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More from St. Lucia (1 Viewer)

SueO

Here's a few more. I think I've seen the third photo called a 'wood' before, but not sure.
Sue

Attachments

• St. Lucia butterfly.JPG
    St. Lucia butterfly.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 61
  • St. Lucia Butterfly (2).JPG
    St. Lucia Butterfly (2).JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 64
  • St. Lucia Wood maybe.JPG
    St. Lucia Wood maybe.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 64
The first picture appears to be a moth.
Hi James,
Yes, I’m sure that’s a moth. I should have been more specific. I had all images marked as butterflies for retrieval purposes and didn’t notice I marked the moths as butterflies.
Here is another unidentified St. Lucia moth. It’s similar to the one I saw in the Canary Islands that Martin (honeym) ID for me: Crimson Speckled I never thought moths could be so pretty.

Attachments

• St. Lucia B 6.JPG
    St. Lucia B 6.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 65
Hi Sue

Although similar, this one's a different species. It should be Utetheisa ornatrix. I'll have a go at the other(s) later.

All the best

Martin

Hi Sue

Although similar, this one's a different species. It should be Utetheisa ornatrix. I'll have a go at the other(s) later.

All the best

Martin
Hi Martin,
I looked up Utetheisa ornatrix and you’re right. Common name, Bella –perfect—this is such a pretty moth. I also got photos of a caterpillar that was in the same plants the moths frequented and found that it is indeed, the larva of this moth. Since you gave me the scientific name I found that the Crimson Speckled is also a Utethesia: Utetheisa pulchella. No wonder that to even my untrained eye they looked similar. Thanks! Here is a photo of the caterpillar.
Sue

Attachments

• st. L moth maybe.JPG
    st. L moth maybe.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back