• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear species. (1 Viewer)

Just received more photographs of this bird and was asked to comment, so for what it is worth (if anything) I reproduce my reply here and look forward to any comments:

Ummm, intrigue is the name of the game here. Actually the photos are better and make life a 'little' easier. The flight photo shows a clear inverted 'T' shape and this would be entirely absent to extremely rare in Desert Wheatear, so this is helpful. Also the profile photos 1 and 2 show a clear view of size, particularly to leg and toe size i.e. very short (chat like) tarsi and short toe length, quite different from the angles shown on photos sent before and from Desert Wheatear. Did the bird hop around a lot as opposed to running and wag the tail (downward and rising slowly)? Looking at the coloration of mantle and breast then it is not typical of either O.x.xanthoprymna or O.x.chrysopygia, but they do interbreed where their ranges overlap (North-western Iran) and this individual could well be a hybrid of these two races. Also I still believe this individual to be an immature and most likely female (based on new photos), so again this adds to the id difficulties as contrary to wide-held belief the immature varies from adult females i.e. lack of black extending from bill to eye etc. If I were put into a corner and asked to say which species it is, then I would come down in favour of Red-tailed Wheatear!

Bit of a headache, but I'll certainly spend more and more time sifting through old notes and photos (mostly of birds in the hand) to see if I am overlooking something here!!!

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back