• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Towhee and Yellow Rumped Warbler (1 Viewer)

SeattleDan

These are the birds of the week for me. I'd never seen a Towhee before, so that was exciting. The Warblers are quick little guys, but they love the suet, so I assume they'll be back. I hadn't seen them before this week either. It's been icy in the mornings with lots of UV and reflected light from the ice and water on the river here... the Towhee photos were awful. I did get a snippet of video of the Yellow Rumped Warbler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kkSppImFOU

Attachments

• Yellow Rumped Warbler.JPG
    Yellow Rumped Warbler.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Spotted Towhee.JPG
    Spotted Towhee.JPG
    438.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I'm also in Seattle, I saw a yellow-rumped warbler in my yard today, too. I don't have a spotted towhee on my yard list yet, though. That's a really pretty one!

Lisa - You always show up with a good word for folks posting here - thanks for reaching out to people... and just being yourself, I guess. ;)

Hi Melissa!

I'm South of town on the Green River. I'd never seen a Towhee before. They are gorgeous, with striking red eyes. That's an awful picture, but any photo helps me identify the bird. I'm a complete noob. Welcome to Bird Forum! These are some nice, and very smart folks here.

Another one you may see, is a large sparrow now... the Golden Crowned Sparrow? It just Winters up here. That was the cap on the week for me, seeing that little guy.

Attachments

• Golden Crowned Sparrow.JPG
    Golden Crowned Sparrow.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 40
That's an awful picture, but any photo helps me identify the bird.

I know what you mean. I'm still not a great birder but am much better than I used to be and that's mainly because of studying photos I've taken. When I'm really stumped - or just unsure - I post them on Birdforum and ask for help. I find people are really helpful and will explain why a bird is what it is.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

I'm just waiting to catch this guy in good light

I bookmarked your blog for more perusal later, Jeff... all very cool. Thanks for your input, Kits. It is lovely.

This new bird, the Spotted Towhee, only shows up in the morning before the Sun comes up. He likes to hide from the light, in deeper branches and down under the Tam Juniper. He doesn't like sitting still for long. This is the best picture yet, and it's still awful. His black head and red eyes are hard to get a crisp shot of. I'm keeping my eyes out, so I can catch him in good light. He has a patch in front, that gives more definition, like my Northern Flickers, very photogenic really.

Attachments

• Spotted Towhee - Copy.jpg
    Spotted Towhee - Copy.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 32
Better Light

Got a shot of that white front patch and eyes at least

happy - maybe I can do my laundry now

:king:

Attachments

• Spotted Towhee in Light.jpg
    Spotted Towhee in Light.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 34
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back