• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoopoe in Bedfordshire (1 Viewer)

LaplandBunting

United Kingdom
I wouldn't usually post about this sort of stuff but today I was captivated by a Hoopoe - A totally new species for me and a very impressive one at that.

I awoke to discover that a Hoopoe had been found half an hour down the road from me, in some paddocks along Wood Lane, Willington.

I hadn't had time to twitch the Barred Warbler in Dunstable half an hour in the other direction during the week, and to my knowledge by the time I'd set off, it was gone (Although was re-found after no sightings for a day and a half later that afternoon!). I therefore tried for the Hoopoe, which I found as soon as I arrived on site, and enjoyed with tens of other birders.

The Bird showed well throughout the mid-late afternoon, favouring the paddocks of Hill Farm, but also flying around the farm buildings and adjacent fields/trees.

After enjoying it with my bins and scope, I took a few pictures:

Attachments

• Hoopoe1.jpg
    Hoopoe1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 119
  • Hoopoe2.jpg
    Hoopoe2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 99
  • Hoopoe3.jpg
    Hoopoe3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 75
I am not far from Willington. Hadn't really considered it as a birding spot before, but will have to pay it a visit.

I am not far from Willington. Hadn't really considered it as a birding spot before, but will have to pay it a visit.

The site the Hoopoe is at isn't a birding spot at all - Just a random farm that accidently pulled a national scarcity!

There are however a set of gravel workings and lakes in the area (A couple of miles from the Hoopoe), which are birding spots and I have visited before. One of them, Gadsey Brook, held a Green-winged Teal earlier this year (although it turned out to be an escapee), and around the edges of the lakes a Golden Oriole was spotted this summer as well, although unfortunately not re-found.

A naturalised population of Barnacle Geese reside there all year, and if you're lucky the gravel workings can yield a variety of waders/gulls and the lakes a good selection of wildfowl - Depending on the time of year...

Interesting to read about your hoopoe. I never saw one when we lived in Sussex , have lived here in Pyrenees region the last 20 years . Sometimes see one in the garden usually in spring or summer , it stays very still on the grass and I can get a good look at it , the best view of its colours are when takes flight.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back