• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White headed brown duck - who am I? (1 Viewer)

It looks a bit like an escapee ruddy shelduck but with a little more white than I think it's supposed to have. Or it's one of those famous domesticated hybrid cococtions about which I know absolutely nothing.

LzyPhotographer said:
Gosh you're fast! Thank you.

LOL! I didn't even look at what time your msg posted, I just logged on myself for the first time today.

I hope somebody else chimes in on this because I'm not 100% sure about the ruddy shelduck, since it's a non-native sp.

San Diego Zoo missing a duck?

No weird hybrid, but (as mentioned) a good Ruddy Shelduck. Females have more white on the head than the males (though both have an obvious light head compared to to the body).

Rasmus

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation on that. I was a little worried about what looked like more white feathers in the back/wings than I thought a ruddy would have, but maybe its feathers were a bit ruffled from having escaped. ;)

As Rasmus said, totally o.K.
Wing coloration / pattern of flying ruddy shelducks is a black and white pattern , similar to the wing coloration/pattern of muscovy(wild or wild-coloured ones!); allthough you seldom see that in the sitting birds, as the wings are mainly hidden by the body feathers. But if you have both birds freeflying, they sometimes react on each others wing pattern like on the wing pattern of their own species and fly with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back