• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit Portugal algarve 10/2 (1 Viewer)

It is probebly a medowpipit wich you see one together on one of the pics but i tought it was not like the rest of the medowpipit that i seen here and it is alot of them here. I am gratefull for any comment !

Best regards Fred

Attachments

• pipit and medow pipit.jpg
    pipit and medow pipit.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 88
  • pipit fråga.jpg
    pipit fråga.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 83
  • pipit fåga.jpg
    pipit fåga.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 76
Certainly Meadows! On the subject of pipits in the Algarve at the moment there are 2 Rock Pipits in Sagres harbour (on he sea wall) - this is a rarity here by the way! A Richard's Pipit at the northern fields of Lagoa dos Salgados (now off the rarity list). Water Pipit is around the wetlands generally. Of course Meadow is abundant now until about mid March when most vacate rather abruptly and very few are left in early April. At this time, Tree Pipits can be heard overhead going north, especially early morning. Red-throated is a rarity - I was lucky to find 3 at Sagres 31 April 2009 and Olive-backed, just 1 record ringed at Ria de Alvor back in Nov 94. Blyth's Pipit, 1 record in March 2003 from near Odemira - not far from the Algarve on the west coast. OH, and mustn't forget our only breeding one - Tawny Pipit, which arrive from March...too late for you maybe?

Last edited:
Males and females aren't separable in the field. I think different states of wear has to do with them looking different - difficult to age at this time..?

Thanks Simon, i was up at rocha (alvor) the other day with my little son showing him when the where ringing the birds there. It was a nice supries:).
When was the richardi Pipet seen ? Best regards Fred

Fred - the Richard's Pipit (there are possibly 2 inds) was seen on the 5th Feb. in the fields between the northern end of Lagoa dos Salgados and the big ruin. Its worth walking the grasslands around the whole west side of the lagoon for Richard's..they turn up quite regularly (Oct-Mar).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back