• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

do u have a pagers (1 Viewer)

andyjs1uk

i not sure if this right place to put this posting...but i was thinking of pagers...or do u guys just text one another i ask this because i have a twitter account. i do follow quite a few twitchers in my area being kent. i have seen people with pagers but is it any quicker than getting "rare bird alert"and other alert servers which are national..i just wondered how many of you use pagers?.so really i supose what i am saying is there any great advantage having a pager...or do u give ur numbers out or twitter account names?. by the way mine is @misecretlife..
sorry i am new to this please excuse my ignorance
hope to hear from u guys soon cheers,andy

RBA man. However there is a lot of traffic on twitter. But I do not have a smart phone ! (I know ! )
The pagers services need add value. I like the monthly round-ups and the stats. Having lost Birding World the monthly round-ups are great. I would like to see a yearly summary

We have a local FB group which is for birding lists only, but as there are not very many sites both a) reachable in an hour or two (some people cannot just leave their workplaces at weekdays so weekends are richest in number of lists) and b) likely to have species worth twitching (and not present everywhere in the area), it seems that, unless there is a group trip planned in advance, people wander around randomly and often end up together in the same spot :)

The real benefit of a pager is if you are a serious twitcher and want news instantly so you can get off the mark asap. Pagers can be tailored to a degree as to what news you want to receive but as the name implies its geared towards Rare Birds. I had a pager for a long time but as now rarely twitch I didn't see the need to have one as much of the rare bird news will be on twitter at some point, such as from RBNUK.

Unless your want to chase lots of rarities would a pager be the way forward, especially if like you say your pretty new to birding

Both RBA & Birdnet along with Birdguides offer text/email message services which are available if you have a suitable smartphone. Mobile services offer better coverage than traditional pagers in many areas.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back