• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kielder - Goshawk Walk (1 Viewer)

malskelton

Enthusiastic Amateur
England
Hi all

My father and I are thinking of enrolling on the Goshawk Walk that the Forestry Commission are running in March at Kielder

I was just looking for people's opinions - is it worthwile ? what are the chances of being successful and seeing Goshawks ?

To get to Kielder would be a few hours round trip - plus cost etc, so just trying to justify the trip to those who need to be obeyed.

Don't want to go through the procedure of getting a pass out, only for it to be a waste if there is little chance of seeing this beautiful bird

Thanks

Mal Skelton

I would suggest a trip up to the Wykeham Forest raptor watchpoint on the North Yorkshire Moors (a lot closer to East Yorkshire than Kielder) on a nice bright day anytime from end of February through March and April should give a very good chance of seeing displaying Goshawk.
A few reports pinched from the Lincs Bird Forum from a regular visitor to that area shows: 5 on 21/2/09, 4 on 8/3/09 and 3 or 4 on 5/4/09.
I have also seen them myself from the watchpoint at similar times of the year and even seen them well into June whist watching the Honey Buzzards.

I went on one of the goshawks walks two or three years ago. We did see a couple of goshawks, but views were very distant (in fact I had to take the guide's word for it that they were goshawks). Having said that, on the day we went the weather wasn't particularly favourable.

The guide was excellent and we did see several other "good" birds such as buzzard, peregrine and crossbill.

However, as you point out, it's a fair old journey for you. If you have a decent raptor watchpoint nearby, I think you might be better off following Gary's advice.

Malcolm

Iagree with Gary - Wykeham well worth the visit, and very little walking involved!

I should add I've no experience of the Kielder walks.

Last edited:
Just a minor gripe try and keep questions in the Northumbrian Birding Thread or else it will get lost and people will be posting all over the shop. That is why it was started.

I thank you

I'm pretty certain that Stewart started the Northumbrian Birding thread to allow local birders to post up-to-date news and sightings, rather than as a repository for all posts about Northumberland. In fact, if you read the first ever post in that thread it seems clear to me that that was the intention.

Things like requests for info about the Kielder Goshawk walks are better in their own thread, as the request will reach a wider audience than the locals who read the Northumbrian Birding thread. Most locals will have their own Goshawk sites and not sign up for organised walks anyway I would have thought.

cheers
martin

Just a minor gripe try and keep questions in the Northumbrian Birding Thread or else it will get lost and people will be posting all over the shop. That is why it was started.

I thank you

I'm pretty certain that Stewart started the Northumbrian Birding thread to allow local birders to post up-to-date news and sightings, rather than as a repository for all posts about Northumberland. In fact, if you read the first ever post in that thread it seems clear to me that that was the intention.

Things like requests for info about the Kielder Goshawk walks are better in their own thread, as the request will reach a wider audience than the locals who read the Northumbrian Birding thread. Most locals will have their own Goshawk sites and not sign up for organised walks anyway I would have thought.

cheers
martin

Fair enough i will shut my face

Mal
Yorkshire bird forum members meet in march/april will be looking for goshawk in the dales;They were successful last year.Check the thread out;its in community section.i didnt go but they had pretty amazing views by all accounts.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back