• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Information required sighting in Calvados, France (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

Hello this is just a question, last week we were visiting the Normandy Battlefield sites in France. One of the sites we visited was Point du Hoc, near Cricqueville-en-Bessin, Calvados (14). France. Whilst we were walking along the cliff edge 2 birds flew over, I thought they were Chough because I saw a glimpse of red on the folded legs. I saw a couple of groups of two but was unable to get any pictures. Is it likely I would see Chough in this region of France. I did manage to sample a couple of glasses of Calvados which I identified without any problem.

Mike.

Hi Mike,
Did you sample the Calvados before or after the sightings?;)
It would be very unusual to see Chough there, the only Chough population in the northern half of the country is in the extreme west of Brittany and is sedentary. Apart from an exceptional record of a Breton bird crossing to England in 2014 they rarely stray more than 20kms from their breeding area (as per the recent Atlas des Oiseaux that I got for Christmas last year!).
The red legs is a puzzler though...............

Thanks Richard I only had a glimpse and no pictures so I may well have been wrong, I normally am. As for the Calvados it was after.

M<ike.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back