• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Novagrade Adapter with iPhone 6S (1 Viewer)

Hi Moocher,

I've just got the Novagrade Smartphone Adaptor to use with the iPhone 6s Plus, I seem to be having a bit of difficulty getting everything set up. The phone does not sit flat but seems to raise up a bit on the clamp that is furthest away from the lens. Whilst I expect vignetting it seems to be very dark & cludy at the edges. Do you have any tips?

Also do you have a case around your phone?

Regards
CB

Hi,

I have the iPhone 6S and it is in a Otterbox Commuter protective case.

Which Novagrade adapter did you purchase?

The Compact, which comes with a a selection of different grips that you mix and match to get the best grip on your phone.

The Standard has a longer support arm for the phone and a spring loaded grip.If it is the standard, that is the one I now use. I have both types.

If it is the standard adapter , there are small thumb wheel adjusters on each clamp. These adjusters allow you to alter how the phone sits in each clamp grip and allow it to sit flat.

I do get a little vignetting, but its not excessive. If you are raising your eyecup to actually view through the scope, make sure you return the eyecup on your eyepiece to its lowest position before attaching the adapter. This will give the least vignetting.

I hope this is of some help to you?

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Moocher

Hi Moocher,

I've just got the Novagrade Smartphone Adaptor to use with the iPhone 6s Plus, I seem to be having a bit of difficulty getting everything set up. The phone does not sit flat but seems to raise up a bit on the clamp that is furthest away from the lens. Whilst I expect vignetting it seems to be very dark & cludy at the edges. Do you have any tips?

Also do you have a case around your phone?

Regards
CB

Thanks Moocher,

I got the standard, I'm using it with an iPhone 6s Plus, I spoke to Frazer from Alpha Optical Distribution and he said that the compact is now discontinued.

After reading your post I realise that I needed to lower the eyecup, although I can't seem to completely lower it on the Swarovski ATX. I have also changed my case to one that has a flat back and that has helped a lot.

Tried it all out in the garden today on the feeder and was pleased with the results, see attached House Sparrow, female with young. I was focused on the back bird.

Thanks for your help, I'm off to Northumberland for a week on Saturday and will post some pics on the gallery.

Best Regards
Mike

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 241
Glad to of been some help. Just keep practicing, it's addictive. Try you hand at some video too. The slow motion video makes interesting footage. I look forward seeing how you get on in Northumberland.

Enjoy.

Regards

Moocher.

Thanks Moocher,

I got the standard, I'm using it with an iPhone 6s Plus, I spoke to Frazer from Alpha Optical Distribution and he said that the compact is now discontinued.

After reading your post I realise that I needed to lower the eyecup, although I can't seem to completely lower it on the Swarovski ATX. I have also changed my case to one that has a flat back and that has helped a lot.

Tried it all out in the garden today on the feeder and was pleased with the results, see attached House Sparrow, female with young. I was focused on the back bird.

Thanks for your help, I'm off to Northumberland for a week on Saturday and will post some pics on the gallery.

Best Regards
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back