• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

As a follow on to my post last night about bat boxes.
I had a look for Bat Box designs and I must admit I got totally confused.
Pete will gladly help us out by building them and I know they should be totally untreated, but can I ask you guys who are more knowledgeable about things-bats, to find an agreeable design, please?

Sy

Admittedly, I don't know much about the various designs of bat boxes (apart from the 'classic' type ones I've seen at Westwood, for example). However, I do know that they should NOT be treated with wood-preservatives as these can be toxic to bats.

Any Jack Snipe seen yet this autumn ?

Not yet mate.
WE always see them (or should I say Flush them ) during Novembers work party at the Flashes, but as yet no sightings. I don't think it is totally down to the lack of water at the flashes, it would appear that a dearth of easterlies is also to blame.
B :)John

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Pochard (12)----------------------Shoveler (14)
Teal (6)----------------------------Tufted Duck (24)
GCGrebe (4)-----------------------Cormorant (25)
Mute Swan (10)-------------------Raven
Kingfisher--------------------------Water Rail (2)
Redpoll (1)------------------------ Skylark (1)

FLASHES: No Green Sands or very large Gulls in the roost tonight.
BH Gull (c520)--------------Curlew (22)
Lapwing (345)--------------Linnet (17)
Skylark----------------------Redpoll (1)
Teal (27)

OUTSIDE THE RESERVE:
Little Egret reported close to the southern boundary.

OF INTEREST:
Fallow Deer (3)-------------Common Darter

Today's highlights:

MOORS:

Teal (27)

Hi Des , looks like a clear out of Teal and a rise in Lapwing. Were there any large gulls coming in late on into roost. Green sands didn't start to arrive until 4.45 . B :)john

Today's highlights:

MOORS:

Teal (27)

Hi Des , looks like a clear out of Teal and a rise in Lapwing. Were there any large gulls coming in late on into roost. Green sands didn't start to arrive until 4.45 . B :)john

Just a couple of LBB Gulls and no Green Sands at 5.05, but a good view of Jupiter and its moons.

Des.

Fallow Deer? isn't that pretty uncommon for Upton?

Hi Mike. I wouldn't like to say out of the three species recorded at Upton--Fallow, Muntjac and Roe, which is the rarest. Deer sightings are pretty uncommon, but there has been an increase in the last couple of years.

Des.

Hi Mike. I wouldn't like to say out of the three species recorded at Upton--Fallow, Muntjac and Roe, which is the rarest. Deer sightings are pretty uncommon, but there has been an increase in the last couple of years.

Des.

Hi Des,

I would say Roe is really quite common at Upton these days - I've seen them at least half a dozen times this year (mostly early morning or evenings - often in pairs). Muntjac is quite rare - I've only seen a couple ever at UW. I've never seen a Fallow at Upton and can only recall one previous record - so I would say your sighting is very significant.

The deer may do us a favour with scrub management. Are the Dexter cattle still hiding at the Moors havnt seen them for ages

Bring back the wolves!

Wolves didnt get relagated Its Bham City that need bringing back.

The deer may do us a favour with scrub management. Are the Dexter cattle still hiding at the Moors havnt seen them for ages

Bring back the wolves!

Wolves didnt get relagated Its Bham City that need bringing back.

Nice of you to say so Trev...I know you don't mean it8-P

Saw the Dexters Tuesday , they spend a lot of time in SE corner behind the scrub.
B :)John

Planned trip to the Mecca this morning got postponed - another split hose on the Landie. Hose ordered; due at lunchtime. Might make it down this afternoon, but won't make it at all this weekend. Flogging poppies in Bromsgrove town centre tomorrow (come and say hello) and Remembrance Day Church Service and wreath laying on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back