• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

King of the Garden? (1 Viewer)

Hi Jaff,

Of the smaller birds, In our garden, the King is without a doubt a Robin! As soon as he is on the scenes the others move away until he is done! :king:

I have tried to upload a pic. Hopefully I have done this correctly! ;)

David

Looking good David. :t:

Thanx for the responses all.

in my garden the shear numbers of starlings see most things off not the sparrows though they hang about with them but jackdaws and maggies clear evrything off. maby diffrent gardens have there own kings and kingdoms its a intresting subject has my birds have only to deal with there own area my blackbirds are very edgy. Mistle Thrush when it decides to turn up isnt worried about much though havnt seen it round jackdaws though.

Wish I knew what has happened to my King of the Garden.

A male blackbird has been greeting me every morning for some years, peering through the gap in the curtains as I make my first drink.

Except he (and some of his family) have been absent for the past week or so. I miss him.

From what I have seen it would be a great spotted woodpecker, in my garden every bird seems to get along the only fighting that goes on is fighting among themselves. House sparrows with house sparrows, wood pigeons with wood pigeons. The magpies and jackdaws seem to group together too, don't mind each other.

Blackbirds for definate here - they rule the garden with an iron rod

My one Male Blackbird greets me while sipping the water at the stone bird bath outside the patio doors Then the same male Backbird says goodnight to me just before it gets dark once more at the stone bird bath

If I pay no attention to him - he tell me off with a loud session of chinks - he is quite a boy!

Yes, he rules the roost :king: of the garden.

Reegards
Kathy
x

im so sorry grobble maby hes gone off somewhere a few of mine are missing but its happend last year when it was a time of plenty food wise didnt see them but cold weather crept back they returned:t: hope yours does too let me know if he return please as i will worry.

When it decides to turn up like last week, the boss bird was a Mistle Thrush.

Interesting answer Robert - I find many of my Blackbirds over the years chase away Songthrushes, and Mistle Thrushes, even Redwings as they seem to view then a competition for food, and territory.

Fieldfares on the other hand are a law unto themselves as they know how to be king of the Garden in the winter months - when food is short - they can empty a well stocked Garden of everything and birds if they set their minds to it

Regards
Kathy
X

In our back yard it's Northern Mockingbird. They are fearless. And they let us know in no uncertain terms when their suet feeder is empty.
In the front yard the Red-bellied Woodpecker and Blue Jays vie for dominance.

Jeff

The house sparrows outnumber everything else 100-1 at the feeder but I did see a downy woodpecker give a sparrow a rap on the head when the sparrow tried to muscle it's way onto the suet feeder yesterday.

I was amused.

At times, I'll look yonder into backyard and wonder if I'm still in the US. House sparrows wont follow the Eurasian Tree Sparrows into the dense cover, believe the ETS's 'mugs' the HS for seed. Red-Bellied doesn't take any guff from anything, if peanuts or walnuts are available.

Attachments

• K5__3209.jpg
    K5__3209.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 31
  • K5__2422.jpg
    K5__2422.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 25
my garden it seems to be the starling but then the jackdaws fly in but my feeders attract different birds and there all spaced out so they all seem to fed and share but if i had to pick a king.the blackbird only because i have been watching it for a while and at first thought when all my garden birds flew up there was a hawk somewhere which sometimes there is but more than not it,s the blackie who flies in fast with his alarm call startling all the birds who fly away or into bushes only for the blackie to start feeding uninterupted.

The magpies. There's 5 of them around and one of them is huge - I nicknamed him "King Magpie" because the others always fly off whenever he decides to feed from the feeder.

Luckily they seem to only supplement their diet with the peanuts and don't chase off too many birds. Blue jays and chickadees still eat from it, though King Magpie did chase off a Northern flicker from the feeder the other day, much to my dismay!

In my yard it is the feisty Starling, they come in such huge numbers that anything else is quickly departing and the only thing what really has the Starlings on edge is the local Sparrowhawk what has feasted on a few.

I have a few different kings. The blue jays think they are kings until a house sparrow puts them in their place. The house sparrows seem very aggressive toward larger birds and very sociable with smaller birds. The only bird that puts the house sparrows in their place is a red bellied wood pecker. I have never seen him agressive unless provoked. I have seen him defend him self against sparrows and jays and come out the winner.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back