• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first Alpha! (1 Viewer)

I think all designs part from the idea that the index finger is used to turn the focus wheel. The typical open bridge designs from Swaro or others require to space the index finger a little from the other fingers that are wrapped around the barrels, while the new Zeiss HT or SF reduce this spacing (see this pic here). If this really matters, I don't know, but anyway all designs let you focus with the index finger.
More classical designs with a larger bridge, like Leica Ultravid, Nikon EDG or Swaro SLC require you to place one or more fingers on the bridge while the index is placed on the focus wheel. The Leica Ultravid has a very large focus wheel that lets you use the index and the middle finger alternativly, which is good for quick focussing from close to far. I like the Leica focus (I use the Ultravid), but I imagine that the SF system is also very comfortable.

Hi Florian! Thanks for clearing that up!

So, the only consensus Alphas (for birding at least, rulling out Fujinon, Astrophysics etc) are the Victory, Ultravid, Swarovision and EDG. Correct?

Stick with 8x is my opinion.

That's funny, because I compared the EL SV 8.5 and the 10X42, before buying. After all the reading, I was prepared to like the 8.5 better.

But I just couldn't resist the larger image, and the additional "presence" of the 10X.

To each his own ... I am completely satisfied, and have not once wished for a smaller image.

Richard

So, the only consensus Alphas (for birding at least, rulling out Fujinon, Astrophysics etc) are the Victory, Ultravid, Swarovision and EDG. Correct?

That's the conventional wisdom I guess (or at least top-of-the-line binos from those manufacturers). I don't care what's considered "alpha" though, as long as I get good glass. ;)

That's funny, because I compared the EL SV 8.5 and the 10X42, before buying. After all the reading, I was prepared to like the 8.5 better.

But I just couldn't resist the larger image, and the additional "presence" of the 10X.

To each his own ... I am completely satisfied, and have not once wished for a smaller image.

Richard

I have to make a note to try out the 10x bins then. :smoke: However, I am getting addicted to the wide FOV of my Monarchs, and I'm not sure I'd accept anything under 130 these days.

^^^ EDG and be done with it then.

You'll wind up there eventually anyway, SF or Opticron SFW regardless, just like some of the rest of us ;)

I have to make a note to try out the 10x bins then. :smoke: However, I am getting addicted to the wide FOV of my Monarchs, and I'm not sure I'd accept anything under 130 these days.

Well, I will be interested in hearing your opinion ... irrespective of which way it goes.

^^^ EDG and be done with it then.

You'll wind up there eventually anyway, SF or Opticron SFW regardless, just like some of the rest of us ;)

Well, right now its a toss up between the EDG and SLC, or waiting to see if the Victory SF is worth getting. :smoke:

So, I managed to try out the Leica Ultravid HD yesterday!

Where better to test it out than downtown Manhattan? :king:

I tried out the 7x42, 8x42, 10x42 and 8x50 models. Got a couple of good views of the Flatiron building among other landmarks! B :)

First impressions>
- Noticably clearer and crisper than my Monarch 7
- Somewhat cooler image
- Ergonomics were generally suitable for me
- Less field of view than I would like, except for the 8x42 and 7x42 models
- Eyecups on some of the models were a little stiff and made of cheapish plastic...

Verdict>
- Overall not a huge improvement on my Monarch 7, and at about USD 2000 I expect something truly exceptional. The Leica just doesn't deliver it for me.

With people knowing a bit about binoculars in Germany, Steiner doesn't have a very good reputation. Mostly due to most bins being of mediocre quality and because some rather weird marketing. The Discovery is supposed to be good though. As for the Leica bins, I wouldn't give much to this test. You find reports about leaky bins from all brands, don't expect any major difference here.

The best advice you got here is just to try the bins you listed. You can't go wrong with any of these, so you can let the gut feeling decide. At this level, it's ergonomics, ease of view, color and brand loyality that usually decides...

Since you are mentioning it......

Steiner has stopped last week with the production of the Discovery because of the bad quality name (for example the eyecups broke down every time) it had built up in the last years.
They now bring out the same model under a different name since the name Discovery is too damaged to use anymore.

Sounds logic (?) don't you think.

Jan

Steiner have in the past changed the name of apparently the same or slightly updated models.
A different logo on the body, although sometimes no name at all.

Confusing!

So, yesterday I went to B&H on 9th Ave and 34th Street. :king:

Managed to try out the Swarovski SV 8.5x42 and 8x32, Nikon EDG 8x42, and the Zeiss Conquest HD.

Unfortunately, the clerk would not let me take the binoculars out on the street to try, so I had to make due with observing inside the shop (it's a big shop, but still not as good as the great outdoors).

The good>
Well, they were all good glass, but the Swarovskis really stood out for me. I really liked the wide field of view, compact size and light weight of the Swaro SV 8x32! I did not notice "rolling ball' or any other distortions. :t:

The not so good>
Surprisingly, I did not like the Nikon EDG much. I had trouble setting the diopter at first, and then I noticed a slight fussiness at the edge of the view (weird for a Nikon, right?). I also got some blackouts while viewing through it. Might have been just user error on my part, or a fault with that particular pair...

Honorable mention>
The Zeiss Conquest HD!

I got a great view through these, which are about half the price of the Swarovskis. I practically couldn't notice any difference (although I admit the testing conditions were less than optimal). I might actually get the 8x32 version of these bins due to their compactness and light weight. :t:

So, now I just have the SLC and the Victory SF left to try! ;)

Well, after having tried a large variety of alpha binoculars in various settings over the last two weeks, I have come to appreciate how good my Nikon M7 really is! :king: I think I will hang onto it for the time being, or at least until I manage to try out the Zeiss Victory SF! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back