• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A MANIFESTO: The Way it Really Works (1 Viewer)

I hope that this will settle the issue. The Leupold Gold Ring was a joint venture between the Japanese firm Kamakura and Leupold. Leupold did ASSEMBLE some of the first ones in Beaverton, Oregon. But that is ALL they did...ASSEMBLE, using the pieces Kamakura sent them. Early on, Leupold probably did make some things in Oregon, but the meat and potatoes of the binocular are Kamakua. While Leupold engineers had significant input into the design, it is, or developed into a Kamakura binocular that Leupold helped design. When Leupold first hit the market at then alpha level prices, people went nuts and Leupold had to back off the USA assembly to keep the costs down. Misguided complaints about too much weight did not help, and alas we are minus one significantly good binocular in today's marketplace.

I put this first off in the GR thread, but it supports Bill, and seems germane here, so I'll repeat it.

I put this first off in the GR thread, but it supports Bill, and seems germane here, so I'll repeat it.

Thank you, Steve, for that vindication!

Could I add that Kamakura’s operation is in Chula Vista, California and is run by Mark Kamakura (Real, un-Americanized name: Masaki) who took the place of his brother Toshi, when Toshi was called back to Japan to take his father’s place as head of the company. I’ve had several conversations with both—some face to face—and have NEVER been given a “bum Steer.” They have been as straightforward and honorable to me as I have striven to be with them. I never had the financial clout to really make anything worth their while, and you could tell that their efforts on my behalf were simply through kindness and wanting to do the right thing.

There have been times I have needed a small favor or two that would have been gum on the shoes and beneath so many in similar positions. Yet, even when Toshi became … the man. He would personally see to it that my need was immediately met. I have a lot of respect for the brothers and the products they produce. But then, what do I know?

Bill

Last edited:
Thank you, Steve, for that vindication!

Could I add that Kamakura’s operation is in Chula Vista, California and is run by Mark Kamakura (Real, un-Americanized name: Masaki) who took the place of his brother Toshi, when Toshi was called back to Japan to take his father’s place as head of the company. I’ve had had several conversations with both—some face to face—and have NEVER been given a “bum Steer.” They have been as straightforward and honorable to me as I have striven to be with them. I never had the financial clout to really make anything worth their while, and you could tell that their efforts on my behalf were simply through kindness and wanting to do the right thing.

There have been times I have needed a small favor or two that would have been gum on the shoes and beneath so many in similar positions. Yet, even when Toshi became … the man. He would personally see to it that my need was immediately met. I have a lot of respect for the brothers and the products they produce. But then, what do I know?

Bill

So I guess I now know where the term Kama Tech comes from. ;) Thanks for that tidbit, I did not know that before now.

Great post Bill! I really appreciate that you took time and shared your insight with us. As you mentioned, overseas OEMs offer the brand names a selection of options and they pick from the list. I am not familiar with the Chinese OEMs but I know a few in Japan, e.g. Light Optical Works (LOW) who makes products for several European band names inducing Big Z.

Sporting optics, for the most part, has become a commodity business. The Alpha brands don't have any proprietary technology or significant innovation that can differentiate them from the competition :(

"Commodity"

One of the things the bino buff understands LEAST is how some of the big players see the market. We get all twitterpated when this bino becomes that bino, or when that bino gets a new covering and is NOW called the NEW . . . whatever. But, binoculars are such a SMALL part of their business, many leave them on the back burner.

When you see the skaters at the Winter Olympics, you will see dozens of long, gray (Grey to you UK guys) telephotos from Fujinon and Kowa. One sale will earn more money for the maker than a month of bino sales from a dealer.

And, most are into business, medicine, aerospace, and defense. Binoculars . . . what's that?

Bill

Last edited:
The supply chain you so clearly describe suggests that there is real opportunity for someone who has good contacts in China to create a modern day version of Swift.
A small team focused on quality control and customer satisfaction should be able to do well. Zen Ray may be pioneering example.

The binocular portion of Swift Instruments was acquired by Swift Sport Optics, Lakewood, Colorado about 2006. At that time at least half of their products were Chinese made, the remainder Japanese.

Ed

The binocular portion of Swift Instruments was acquired by Swift Sport Optics, Lakewood, Colorado about 2006. At that time at least half of their products were Chinese made, the remainder Japanese.

Ed

I was talking to Bruce Mercer, once the national sales manager at Swift in Boston, just yesterday. The company that some of us knew and appreciated is not even a shell of what it used to be. I always wanted to have a shot with keeping Hops company alive. That's an old pipe dream. When people find out you won't warp the truth for them, they are no longer interested in you.

My sales methods worked for Captain's, big time. But, today's managers know my philosophies won't work, or . . . they THINK they won't!

Bill

The supply chain you so clearly describe suggests that there is real opportunity for someone who has good contacts in China to create a modern day version of Swift.
A small team focused on quality control and customer satisfaction should be able to do well. Zen Ray may be pioneering example.

If I had the money, I would show the great ones that integrity and a thorough knowledge of the product (and a willingness to share that knowledge with your customer) is a recipe for success. I couldn't give stuff away at Captain's fast enough to keep it from coming back to me in spades. Integrity and knowledge. Most competitors can't fight against it because they don't understand it and are not going to invest the time to learn. It's why Captain's has lasted through 2 world wars, the great depress, and several recessions, and still ticks.

When I left in 2008, the average tenure was 25 years. I have been gone 6 years, and they have had NO turnover!

Eat your heart out, West Marine. 8-P

Bill

I was talking to Bruce Mercer, once the national sales manager at Swift in Boston, just yesterday. The company that some of us knew and appreciated is not even a shell of what it used to be. I always wanted to have a shot with keeping Hops company alive. That's an old pipe dream. When people find out you won't warp the truth for them, they are no longer interested in you.

My sales methods worked for Captain's, big time. But, today's managers know my philosophies won't work, or . . . they THINK they won't!

Bill

I have to wonder if there will come a day 20 years from now when somewhere on a board someone is bragging on the classic high quality of a pair of Chinese bins. Others will be saying, oh yeah that Kunming is a classic, even though it's 30 years old it gives up nothing to the latest 8X42 Ahmad Khan models.

I have to wonder if there will come a day 20 years from now when somewhere on a board someone is bragging on the classic high quality of a pair of Chinese bins. Others will be saying, oh yeah that Kunming is a classic, even though it's 30 years old it gives up nothing to the latest 8X42 Ahmad Khan models.

Bingo! Something to talk about for those who like to talk. The Internet is a wonderful tool. If folks spent just 10% of the time they talk about things they don't understand, researching the subject, the bar of understanding would be pushed considerably higher. The number of threads would be reduced, but those that remained would be much more meaningful.

The reason I started this pontification thread, was to short circuit the Gold Ring thread. I KNEW that unless something had happened RECENTLY, binos were not being "manufactured" in Beaverton. It was foolish from any number of business angles. But some people, armed only with their opinions and what it says in print somewhere, kept taking me to task.

I make mistakes just like anyone else. But, I'm rarely bested by the readers, wannabes, or armchair opticians. I have to take in it the shorts from those who are tired of me having been in the business so long, but that is often a price worth paying. No good deed will go unpunished. :eek!:

Bill, the arrogant martyr, out

Last edited:
But some people, armed only with their opinions and what it says in print somewhere, kept taking me to task.

I make mistakes just like anyone else. But, I'm rarely bested by the readers, wannabes, or armchair opticians. I have to take in it the shorts from those who are tired of me having been in the business so long, but that is often a price worth paying. No good deed will go unpunished. :eek!:

Bill, the arrogant martyr, out

oh it wasn't that bad in the GR thread. I think you are referring to me and Dennis mainly. Initially , I thought they were made in Oregon based on the 'made in the USA' claim. I did not think that all parts were made in Oregon of course, but I did think there was a good degree of manufacturing involved with the GR bins. However, both yourself and Steve C. sufficiently explained it and now I get it. At one point I was asking genuine questions to get a better understanding. I never ever claim to be an optic expert on this forum. Everyone knows I like binoculars, but I am far from being technical. I sometimes think I don't belong here and should not participate.

oh it wasn't that bad in the GR thread. I think you are referring to me and Dennis mainly. Initially , I thought they were made in Oregon based on the 'made in the USA' claim. I did not think that all parts were made in Oregon of course, but I did think there was a good degree of manufacturing involved with the GR bins. However, both yourself and Steve C. sufficiently explained it and now I get it. At one point I was asking genuine questions to get a better understanding. I never ever claim to be an optic expert on this forum. Everyone knows I like binoculars, but I am far from being technical. I sometimes think I don't belong here and should not participate.

I liked your review of the leica much better than the technical ones. I could understand yours.

"genuine questions"

Annabeth: that is a key I will always fight for.

And, it is much bigger than anyone on that thread. It was probably just me showing my humanity. It's a notion I have been trying to stem for years. Yet, no sooner will the flame go out in one spot than it is kindled two feet to the left--often with as much fervor. You were never considered part of the problem. And, in the eternal perspective, there was not even a problem to start with. Just folks with a different agenda--good people all!

Bill

"genuine questions"

Annabeth: that is a key I will always fight for.

And, it is much bigger than anyone on that thread. It was probably just me showing my humanity. It's a notion I have been trying to stem for years. Yet, no sooner with the flame go out in one spot than it is kindled two feet to the left--often with as much fervor. You were never considered part of the problem. And, in the eternal perspective, there was not even a problem to start with. Just folks with a different agenda--good people all!

Bill

I don't mind being wrong or looking wrong as long as I get to the right answer in the end. Thanks for your kind words Bill ... your experience is valued by many here.

I don't mind being wrong or looking wrong as long as I get to the right answer in the end. Thanks for your kind words Bill ... your experience is valued by many here.

And thank YOU for understanding me! Too many don't. :cat:

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back