• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poaching (1 Viewer)

LSB

Me
United Kingdom
I have just read in the local paper that a Man (wont name him) has been arrested for the 14th time for poaching Salmon from the river Tyne. I cant belive he has been allowed to do it this many times without being put in jail (paper says he's awaiting either jail or community order!!!!) If anybody nicked 14 cars or did 14 robberys jail would be the norm. I just dont belive it has been allowed to get like this. :storm: :storm: :storm:

PS While out birding yesterday 2 blokes were hunting Pheasant 6ft away from me in broad daylight..........

thats the stupid world we live in. it's the same with all these 'career criminals' who constantly break the law, only to get a slap on the wrist instead of getting banged up for a long stretch.

littlestintboy said:
PS While out birding yesterday 2 blokes were hunting Pheasant 6ft away from me in broad daylight..........

Which is equally illegal in mid-March.... hope you called the 'Old Bill' instead of just moaning about it here.

Touty said:
Which is equally illegal in mid-March.... hope you called the 'Old Bill' instead of just moaning about it here.

Was told they had permisson of the land owner so nothing could be done about it... :C

Touty said:
Porkies!

Pheasant - Oct 1 - Feb 1
Cheers will keep my eye out for them again..ooops RE prev post It wasnt hunters who told me they had permisson it was a friend of mine who pointed out that the land holder allows them to use his land...

Last edited:
littlestintboy said:
Cheers will keep my eye out for them again..ooops RE prev post It wasnt hunters who told me they had permisson it was a friend of mine who pointed out that the land holder allows them to use his land...

Still illegal. Pheasants are on Schedule II Part I of WCA 1981 and they can only be shot at certain times of the year as Touty says. What is probably happening is these people are going on the land to shoot crows and pigeons under permission but are using this excuse as a cover.

Ian

I have had a similiar problem with two blokes shooting pigeons in a public area rather timidly I approached one of them & informed them of it being a public area they were alright about it & moved off.The fact was that I was out birding dressed in camo & hearing gunshot going off around you is quite scary!!!!

Cheers Steve.

stevo said:
I have had a similiar problem with two blokes shooting pigeons in a public area rather timidly I approached one of them & informed them of it being a public area they were alright about it & moved off.The fact was that I was out birding dressed in camo & hearing gunshot going off around you is quite scary!!!!

Cheers Steve.

What were they using, airguns or shotguns?

littlestintboy said:
I have just read in the local paper that a Man (wont name him) has been arrested for the 14th time for poaching Salmon from the river Tyne. I cant belive he has been allowed to do it this many times without being put in jail (paper says he's awaiting either jail or community order!!!!) If anybody nicked 14 cars or did 14 robberys jail would be the norm. I just dont belive it has been allowed to get like this. :storm: :storm: :storm:

One would have to know all the circumstances surrounding the case littlestintboy. For instance, I personally don't want my taxes going to pay for the incarceration of someone caught poaching fourteen times in the last 40 years, if, on each occasion they only had one salmon in their possession, having gaffed it or caught it by trawling with a big treble hook for instance. However, I might be more than happy for them to be jailed if they'd used certain other methods, destroying many of the other creatures too.

Most of the poaching that now occurs in the UK is for the sheer devilment of outwitting, not only the creature itself, but also those who strive to protect them. No-one in the UK needs to poach. Prices for legal-taken game are so low that it's simply not worth poaching - it's a pastime these days, rather than an economic neccessity!

saluki

Last edited by a moderator:
saluki said:
One would have to know all the circumstances surrounding the case littlestintboy. For instance, I personally don't want my taxes going to pay for the incarceration of someone caught poaching fourteen times in the last 40 years, if, on each occasion they only had one salmon in their possession, having gaffed it or caught it by trawling with a big treble hook for instance. However, I might be more than happy for them to be jailed if they'd used certain other methods, destroying many of the other creatures too.

Most of the poaching that now occurs in the UK is for the sheer devilment of outwitting, not only the creature itself, but also those who strive to protect them. No-one in the UK needs to poach. Prices for legal-taken game are so low that it's simply not worth poaching - it's a pastime these days, rather than an economic neccessity!

saluki

Thanks for your point of view but it does stirke me as a bit strange that he's been caught 14 times.Still takes a lot to make the world turn..
still miffed tho..

littlestintboy said:
Thanks for your point of view but it does stirke me as a bit strange that he's been caught 14 times.Still takes a lot to make the world turn..
still miffed tho..

He just sounds like a crap poacher to me - part of the art of poaching is not to get caught!

Poaching has fads - people poach (steal) everything from foxes to fish. When fox pelts brought high prices in the late 70's/early, 80's foxes were regularly poached. Then deer became a target when venison prices in restaurants were high. Raiding pheasant release pens was another fad, then poaching huge carp to resell to other fisheries. A few years ago several small lochs I know had most of the pike removed from them - apparently someone had found a market for pike flesh on the continent. Occasionally, if the poacher knows the job and has a buyer for his ill-gotten gains, then money can be made. But more often the people who perpetrate these crimes haven't a clue what they're doing, go mob-handed so profit is tiny for each person involved, and are at a loss to know what to do with the carcasses once they've procured them!

saluki

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back