• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raven in urban area (UK)? (1 Viewer)

Heymike

Hi all,

I live in Derby in the East Midlands, UK.

Recently, I have been hearing the distinctive call of Ravens around the suburb where I live and a large local park too. I have seen and heard the birds before in the northern Peak District and Pennines, so i'm pretty sure I could recognize them if seen (they're huge lol), but in this case I have not seen the birds, just heard THAT call. Is this dementia setting in early for me, or do they venture into urban areas? I am continuing to scan the skies.

Mike

I've seen Ravens in Shrewsbury and on the Hampshire/Berkshire border so Derby doesn't seem unlikely, especially as it's not that far as the crow flies ( ;) ) from Kinder Scout, where there are plenty... a bit skeptical of the claim on that thread that they are plentiful around the picnic tables at Whipsnade Zoo though, I think someone might be getting mistaken with Rooks...

There's at least 6 urban / suburban pairs in Merseyside, although they haven't bred on Liverpool Cathedral for the last few years. Derby should have regular birds flying over from the Peak District ( and, possibly, prospecting birds in autumn ).

There's at least 6 urban / suburban pairs in Merseyside, although they haven't bred on Liverpool Cathedral for the last few years. Derby should have regular birds flying over from the Peak District ( and, possibly, prospecting birds in autumn ).
Depends on the proximity to moorland shooting estates. I've not heard of any urban Ravens yet on the east side of the Pennines where most of the shooting goes on. The wetter moors in the west have fewer grouse so much less persecution of Ravens, so therefore more, and less timid, Ravens able to spread into towns.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back