• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scaup Or Tufted (1 Viewer)

BrianWH

Sparrowhawk
I have been fooled before by these before, as tufted sometimes fold their wings over to look like Scaups.

Attachments

• IMG_7934a.jpg
    IMG_7934a.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_7932a.jpg
    IMG_7932a.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 137
Definitely a Tuftie head... also the pale back looks plain rather than vermiculated as it would be in Scaup. So a Tuftie either with a plumage abnormality (either leucism or some missing black wing feathers?) or in a "contortionist" position!

Too much black on the bill tip and 1st photos appears to show slight tuft. Also head peak is too far forward so Tufted Duck for me.

Cheers

Roy

Definitely a Tuftie head... also the pale back looks plain rather than vermiculated as it would be in Scaup. So a Tuftie either with a plumage abnormality (either leucism or some missing black wing feathers?) or in a "contortionist" position!

Thanks, that is what I thought in the end unfortunately.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back