• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

[b]Ruby-throated Hummingbirds in Costa Rica[b] (1 Viewer)

billhiltonjr

Registered Member
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds in Costa Rica

Nearly all Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that breed in the U.S. and Canada depart for Mexico and Central America each fall, but they've not been well-studied on their wintering grounds.

We've just returned from Guanacaste Province, Costa Rica, where we banded an unprecedented number of ruby-throats through through Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History and "Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project."

For a summary of our observations and hummingbird banding work in Costa Rica, please visit "This Week at Hilton Pond" for 2-21 February 2006 at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek060208.html

I'm happy to respond to your questions or comments via BirdForum.

Happy (Tropical) Nature Watching!

BILL

Last edited:
billhiltonjr said:
Nearly all Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that breed in the U.S. and Canada depart for Mexico and Central America each fall, but they've not been well-studied on their wintering grounds.

We've just returned from Guanacaste Province, Costa Rica, where we banded an unprecedented number of ruby-throats through through Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History and "Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project."

For a summary of our observations and hummingbird banding work in Costa Rica, please visit "This Week at Hilton Pond" for 2-21 February 2006 at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek060208.html

I'm happy to respond to your questions or comments via BirdForum.

Happy (Tropical) Nature Watching!

BILL

Bill, how long will that blue dye last? I'm hoping to see a blue-throated Ruby at my feeders this year.

crickieheather said:
Bill, how long will that blue dye last? I'm hoping to see a blue-throated Ruby at my feeders this year.

The dye is rather short-lived and wears off from preening and/or rain in a couple of months. If you live in the southern U.S. you stand a chance of seeing a RTHU with blue, but if you're north of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History (York SC), you're more liklely to see one of my green-marked birds.

Best wishes,

BILL

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back