Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 15th March 2017, 17:09   #1
InfernoOrangeSS
Veritas Aequitas

Cool When to put my feeders back out?

I had amazing success with 2 hummingbird feeders last year, which actually spurred my attention to several feeders due to my daughter having a great time watching birds on our back porch. I took them down when I went 4 weeks with no activity, which I assumed was due to migration and them leaving our area. I was wondering, when would be an advantageous time to put them back out. I want to encourage them back to my yard as at times we had swarms of them here. I live in the southeast of the U.S.A., particularly in North Central Alabama.
I want to help our my winged friends, and get them back where my daughter can again marvel at nature and her bird friends.
Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 18th March 2017, 15:41   #2
deidrahall
Birdacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoOrangeSS View Post
I had amazing success with 2 hummingbird feeders last year, which actually spurred my attention to several feeders due to my daughter having a great time watching birds on our back porch. I took them down when I went 4 weeks with no activity, which I assumed was due to migration and them leaving our area. I was wondering, when would be an advantageous time to put them back out. I want to encourage them back to my yard as at times we had swarms of them here. I live in the southeast of the U.S.A., particularly in North Central Alabama.
I want to help our my winged friends, and get them back where my daughter can again marvel at nature and her bird friends.
Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
I see no problem with putting them back out now. You look like your getting spring type weather with rain but not too cold. Sometimes it takes awhile for the little hummers to come back. Just be patient and they will come
Old Saturday 25th March 2017, 14:15   #3
Hummingbird Market

2017 Spring Migration

There are two maps that show the 2017 Spring Migration.

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html
and
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/h...pring2017.html

It appears that hummingbirds are in your area
Old Saturday 25th March 2017, 14:42   #4
TFM70

I leave one feeder up year round. There have been lots of sightings of western species in the South in the winter months. I haven' seen one at my feeder in the winter yet, but one day maybe.
Old Sunday 9th April 2017, 02:59   #5
SoCalHummerLady

It's like "Field of Dreams" for hummers. Put up a feeder with a small amount of nectar and keep an eye on it. Make sure you change the nectar out every 3-4 days, whether you see hummers or not. When the hummers are back in your area, they WILL find your feeder. Then add your other feeders one by one, again keeping nectar levels low until you're getting a good crowd of hummers.
I always monitor how much nectar the birds are going through in each feeder over each 3-day period and refill at that same level until it's clear they need more. Keeps from wasting nectar.
Old Sunday 9th April 2017, 20:04   #6
emc

I never had much success with hummingbird feeders but I was surprised that they are attracted to painted nettle. last year I had it in a pot on my patio and it got the attention of one hummer that really seemed to like it.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: