• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hog on the move. (1 Viewer)

BazR

bazr
Hi All.
After almost a week, when the temperatures have been such that a fur-lined jockstrap and two pairs of bootlaces have been included in the dress-of-the-day,:eek!: I looked out on to the patio last night to see a Hedgehog scurrying into the garden.
I was amazed to think that it would have broken hibernation to venture out on a night which wasn't very warm: the outside thermometer was showing
4c. I certainly hope it found something on which to feed.

I won't be around for a week. We're off to Austria early on Sunday morning. If I get any wildlife pics, I'll post them.

All the best.
Baz.

The sudden increase in temperatures must have woken him Baz!
Enjoy Austria....tis a wonderful country!
I had a close encounter with a Treecreeper there whilst lying on my back in a wood with my legs resting upwards on a tree trunk....it almost crept down my leg thinking it was part of the tree!!!:eek!:

Funny you should mention this, Baz. The last couple of nights our back garden security lights have come on twice, neither time triggered by our two free range springers. I commented to my OH that it might be a hoggie as they often do the same through the summer. I shall keep watch over the next few nights while it remains warm.

The sudden increase in temperatures must have woken him Baz!
Enjoy Austria....tis a wonderful country!
I had a close encounter with a Treecreeper there whilst lying on my back in a wood with my legs resting upwards on a tree trunk....it almost crept down my leg thinking it was part of the tree!!!:eek!:

Thanks for the good wishes Ruth. As for your Treecreeper: I hope it was the state of it's eyes that almost caused the confusion, and not the state of your legs. Unless you've got a wooden one of course. LOL!!

All the best flower.
Baz.

Thanks for the good wishes Ruth. As for your Treecreeper: I hope it was the state of it's eyes that almost caused the confusion, and not the state of your legs. Unless you've got a wooden one of course. LOL!!
All the best flower.
Baz.

Ha ha.....well I was only a youngster Baz....so it must have been it's eyes!!!:-O

Hi Baz

I think it is the warmer weather that brought your little friend out to look about for some food. As you say I hope he found some food fro himself. ;)

Enjoy your holiday abroad. Love to see any pictures when you return. :t:

Ruth: Wooden legs LOL what next. The Tree Creeper had taste, and knows who his friends are. ;):t:

Hey Ruth, maybe it was looking for Baz's furry jock strap! |:$|
Aww,I hope your Hog is safe & warm Baz, have a great trip. x

Have a great time, Baz, and look forward to hearing updates on the hodgepig when you return.

Thanks folks for your good wishes for the holiday.
The Hedgehog was a good size, so well capable of looking after itself. Whilst I'm aware that the warm weather brings them out of hibernation, I would have thought 4c was not really warm enough to have stirred them. Being a Yorkshire Hedgehog it might be tough and a bit daft. As is commonly said about Yorkshire men, " Strong int body, an' thick int 'ead." LOL!!

All the best.
Baz.

It does seem early for a hoggie's visit, Baz! Still as you say it was a fair size, so maybe hunger got the better of it!o:D

Have a safe journey and enjoy Austria Baz!

All the best!

Pam.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back