• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North West Peru (1 Viewer)

mcali

I have just returned from a 7 day trip to Northern Peru from Chiclayo to Tarapoto with Renzo Zeppilli of Manu Expiditions. We saw over 340 species in one week, including White-Winged Guan, Marvelous Spatuletail (including an adult male), Peruvian Plantcutter, both Elegant and Maranon Crescentchests, and Little Inca-Finch.

We spent 4 nights at the new Long-Wiskered Owlet Lodge in Abra Pratricia which is now finished and a truely magical place. The Tanager flocks seem almost continious here. They are incredible and include gems such as Grass-Green, Yellow-Scarfed and Blue-Winged Mountain Tanagers. Also around the lodge we saw White-Capped Tanagers, Andean Potoo, Lyre-Tailed Nighjar, Johnson's Tody-Tyrant, Rusty-Tinged Antpitta and Rufous-Vented Tapaculo. No Owlet:C

I also spend a day at Lomas de Lachy just north of Lima while waiting for my flight home. Great views of Cactus Canestero and the Miner birds.

Some photos are here:
http://www.photoshopshowcase.com/ViewFlashMedia.aspx?AID=207008&AT=3

Excellent series of photos. The "Boat-billed Flycatcher" (#17) is a Great Kiskadee, and the "Mountain Velvetbreast" (#51) is a Fawn-breasted Brilliant.

Boy, do I love this. I was in Amazonian Peru last year (fabulous) and I left there with a determination to bird montane Peru one day. This seals the deal; thanks. My trip report of the Peruvian Amazon is in the mix somewhere. You saw some BEAUTIFUL Tanagers . . the Flame-faced is spectacular!!
Bill

I have just returned from a 7 day trip to Northern Peru from Chiclayo to Tarapoto with Renzo Zeppilli of Manu Expiditions. We saw over 340 species in one week, including White-Winged Guan, Marvelous Spatuletail (including an adult male), Peruvian Plantcutter, both Elegant and Maranon Crescentchests, and Little Inca-Finch.

We spent 4 nights at the new Long-Wiskered Owlet Lodge in Abra Pratricia which is now finished and a truely magical place. The Tanager flocks seem almost continious here. They are incredible and include gems such as Grass-Green, Yellow-Scarfed and Blue-Winged Mountain Tanagers. Also around the lodge we saw White-Capped Tanagers, Andean Potoo, Lyre-Tailed Nighjar, Johnson's Tody-Tyrant, Rusty-Tinged Antpitta and Rufous-Vented Tapaculo. No Owlet:C

I also spend a day at Lomas de Lachy just north of Lima while waiting for my flight home. Great views of Cactus Canestero and the Miner birds.

Some photos are here:
http://www.photoshopshowcase.com/ViewFlashMedia.aspx?AID=207008&AT=3

Great bunch of birds- must have been a fantastic trip! Andean birding is hard to beat- so many incredible species. Glad to hear you went with Renzo. We used to work together in Tambopata.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back